Honest opinions

stalkinginengland

Hello All,

My youngest Daughter has always shown an interest in shooting and all that goes with it and although she is only 11 she seems to have her head screwed on.

She has shot my air rifle on occasion but only for a bit of fun but the other day my dad decided to have a BBQ and wanted a inter-family air rifle shoot. His team were Dad, my Brother, Sister in law and thier two boys Thomas and Ben. Our team were My wife the 3 children, Hannah, Matt and Kimberley and myself. Pleased to say that we flattened them:D but the real supprise was my youngest daughter Kimberly who put in the following group.

View attachment 18095

The tape is in mm. and this is 10mt resting, and I think it is a good group. She has always had an interest but if this is anything to go by seems a natural. I am seriously thinking of buying her a rifle for targets. What do you think? Is this average or not?

I know what I think but would like some other honest views. Lastly this is not all she did or has done , but an example of her shooting.

Thanks in advance

Mark

She deserves a chance with a rifle after that.

Post a picture up of the rifle you buy so we know your not a meanie with the dosh :lol:

There were some senior faces with plenty of frowns on when my brothers daughter brought her card in at a BDS event..

We couldnt stop laughing

Terry

very good
keep her intrested and shooting as much as you can my 14 year old lad is hooked and i have let him shoot all my roe this season so far, and yes he,s doing the gralloch as well, one happy lad one over the moon dad

Excellent shooting,to keep her interested get some knock down targets as well.

Excellent shooting,to keep her interested get some knock down targets as well.

Good idea - you can get a magnetic jobby (ping the outer 4 down, then hit the middle one to reset) for about 20 quid or so.

Next year get her down a club. Get her some proper range discipline built in.

Until she is bigger physically she will struggle with the fit and function of any gun but keep encouraging her and take her out picking up, carrying bunnies, anything.

Have a chat with BASC about any local young shots days they are running.

My daughter is now 13 and has her SGC. Next year she will have her FAC.

Again an encouraging club with other junior shooters works wonders.

If I can be of any further help PM me. I already had a barney on here about how good my daughter is.

Any talent for a particular skill is worth encouraging in kids - shooting is no different. In fact, better than many, due to the importance of learning safety and discipline.

Be interested to know what you get her, Mark.

My youngest daughter, age 10, has become very enthusiastic about airgunning after having a go at a BASC event. I have dug out an old air rifle I had as a kid, but it's a big, heavy barrel cocker, with a crappy telescopic held on with jubilee clips! She can just about manage to squint down the scope and pull the trigger with it on a bipod, but she still out-performs the rest of us!
Trouble is she's tiny. Really small for her age. In fact, she'd be small for an eight-year-old, let alone 10. (We call her mouse, on account of her stature!).
Just wondering what suitable airguns there might be available for very small girls?

very good
keep her intrested and shooting as much as you can my 14 year old lad is hooked and i have let him shoot all my roe this season so far, and yes he,s doing the gralloch as well, one happy lad one over the moon dad

Its great to get them involved young like that did you have problem getting his FAC?

Any talent for a particular skill is worth encouraging in kids - shooting is no different. In fact, better than many, due to the importance of learning safety and discipline.

Be interested to know what you get her, Mark.

My youngest daughter, age 10, has become very enthusiastic about airgunning after having a go at a BASC event. I have dug out an old air rifle I had as a kid, but it's a big, heavy barrel cocker, with a crappy telescopic held on with jubilee clips! She can just about manage to squint down the scope and pull the trigger with it on a bipod, but she still out-performs the rest of us!
Trouble is she's tiny. Really small for her age. In fact, she'd be small for an eight-year-old, let alone 10. (We call her mouse, on account of her stature!).
Just wondering what suitable airguns there might be available for very small girls?

Have you thought of the Crossman ratcatcher> It's a CO2 powered air gun so cocking should be easier.

Have you thought of the Crossman ratcatcher> It's a CO2 powered air gun so cocking should be easier.
Co2 airgunsdont really leaned themselves too accurate shooting , theco2 gass can give more or less power dependant on temperature and cartridge volume , I used to use one and found that per 25 - 30 shots per cartridge only about 15-20 would be dead on the mark . With that last shot always jamming the barrel .

A s200 would get my vote too. Also the Brocock hunter single shot, is a good choice for a starter pre charge plus ( and I hate to say this) a plastic stock makes it very light. Second hand a hunter on its own will be about £150 for a good one. What ever you do, dont buy a CO2 gun in this country. They are fine in Arizona where its hot but next to useless here. Your daughter will get frustrated with CO2.

Last edited:
As I said in my earlier post physical stature is the key limiting factor. To a certain extent you have to maintain their enthusiasm until they grow.

The Crossman Ratcatcher is a fine gun to shoot and is accurate to a point. Yes I own one which I bought for my kids. However whilst it's light the stock is too long for a youngster by a lot.

I bought a child sized springer from Scats Countrystore to start off. We have now progressed to a youth sized one. Wasn't an expensive choice and retains some weight because you want her to get used to that and a feeling of recoil.

For club use I have built a very light weight Ruger 10/22 with a Tapco Intrafuse T6 stock. This has an adjustable AR style stock. Need to keep the scope weight down too.

She is also shooting a Marlin underlever Carbine well in .38.

However there is a jump from that to a Deer capable calibre in terms of muzzle report and felt recoil. A flinch would be a horrible thing to instill in a youngster and may put them off forever.

Last edited:
Back