rent increase plus a gun

mudman

Just found out that we are going to have an 80% rent increase plus a request for a gun in the shoot. We have gone overnight from being a cheap(ish) shoot to an expensive shoot. Ho Hum.

Last edited:
Just found out that we are going to have an 80% rent increase plus a request for a gun in the shoot. We have gone overnight from being a cheap(ish) shoot to an expensive shoot. Ho Hum.

Nothing worse when our hobby bites hard... And times are hard enough just now.

Nutty

80% rise in rent is a rip off and as for a gun on the shoot, the invite is normal as a gesture of goodwill, but is not normally taken up.

That is a hard 1 to take, is it for this season or next?
It seems a strange time to have a rent review (ours done 2nd Feb) althou there doesnae sound much reviewing going on, sounds like he knows he's got u by the short and curlies as birds will be on the ground so u've got no choice. Not good for the other syndicate members either a sudden price hike like that esp the way things are.
Think i'd be looking else where for next season but dinae tell him ur leaving till this time next year, not nice but serves him right for behaving like that. Only problem is in most areas a half decent bit off ground is like hens teeth.

Good luck wi it all, hard enough running a shoot wi out stuff like that

Sounds to me like someone has tapped them for the shoot and they are testing your resolve mate,the ball is in your court

Martin

If this has just been sprung upon your syndicate at this time with your birds down it is almost like blackmail. Having said that if you have left the agreement over the rent etc to come up in August you have walked into this situation. If the rise/gun is for next season I would certainly consider that the owner is testing how far he can push but it may all be relevant as to what you are paying now. A landowner is entitled to use his property to earn him a living. If your syndicate has been paying a lot less than the actual worth of the ground it may just be a sign of the times. How much are you currently paying? How many acres? What type of ground is it? Do you have areas to use for game crops?

There might also be other benifits like do any of the members get the deer stalking on the shoot it is known to attract high prices.

I think all too often we perceive ourselves as being 'buddies' with the landowners and convince ourselves that we're helping them out and doing them management favours - when in all actuality, the landowners or farmers really just see the tenants as a means of generating a few extra quid and a 'nice to have' resource to have when the pigeons flatten his crops in the summer. - however, I think tenants are a lot more disposable than they/we like to think. Sadly...

80% rise though, I'd say you ask him why and see if he can actually justify it, then either agree/accept or decline - after all, it's a business contract like all others.

Seems to be an awful lot, but what sort of lease do you have yearly five yearly or what ? when did you last have an increase a yearly increase is normal but its a good idea to sort out what sort of increase to expect at next renewal when you pay this years rent.

Reaching an agreement to increase rent by 2-3% per annum when signing the initial lease can prevent shocks like this, get everything in writing

Gentle mens agreements are for Gentlemen and unfortunately there are precious few of them where money is concerned.

To be fair to the farmer the rent increase was not his doing, it came from the landlord, but he did mention the gun in the shoot for himself at the same time as telling us the bad news about the rent increase. First rent increase in five years so I am taking it on the chin, its only a rough shoot which release birds but myself and my brother enjoy playing at gamekeeping. Only the two of us share the costs so that is the only reason it seems expensive, if it was run on a more conventional basis with say six paying syndicate guns then it would be cheap.

Last edited:
It sounds like the landlord has been chatting with other landowners about shoot "costs" or he's had a better offer and increased the cost to force you out?
Good luck

Daz

Back