Once fired Cases

Aqueous Osprey

Can anyone answer this query for me please.

Classic Lee Loader - On instructions it says about using cases fired from your own rifle.

Question is - I have about 100 once fired cases however I know that one (unsure which one) did not come from my rifle.
Do I need to find this case?
Is it ok to use this case? if not why not?
How do I find it?

Thanks

Previously fired cases from your own rifle will have been fire-formed to your rifle's chamber dimensions and can therefore be safely neck sized only.

Fired cases from other rifles might not chamber in your rifle if only neck sized - they could if the other rifle's chamber dimensions are smaller - and will therefore benefit from a full length resize.

The benefits of neck sizing only will be covered at length in many of the better reloading manuals.

The Lee Classics neck sizes only. A case fired in another rifle may not fit once resized.

So try each case in your rifle before beginning to load.~Muir

you might be lucky.

I have 2 x .270 and 200 once fired cases from my fathers (3rd)
the cases will chamber in all the rifles if from the 3rd rifle but if I try to use fire formed cases from the BSA they wont chamber without a stiff bolt downwards.

some just have bigger chambers

been playing with the loader yet?!
I just bought another one! addicted to basics

you might be lucky.

I have 2 x .270 and 200 once fired cases from my fathers (3rd)
the cases will chamber in all the rifles if from the 3rd rifle but if I try to use fire formed cases from the BSA they wont chamber without a stiff bolt downwards.

some just have bigger chambers

been playing with the loader yet?!
I just bought another one! addicted to basics

Bewsher500

I have de-primed all the cases, re-necked them and gave them a wee clean! I've stopped after that as I will now need to decide what primers, powder and bullets to purchase...
Also was not too happy with the one unknown case hence the thread.
Bought a manual primer too however I did not realise you needed to purchase a case holder so I will need to get one from somewhere.

The Lee Classics neck sizes only. A case fired in another rifle may not fit once resized.

So try each case in your rifle before beginning to load.~Muir

Just finished chambering all the empty cases and they all fit into the rifle so are they safe to use?

Last edited:
yes, depending on what vast quantity of powder you intend to fill them with....

which primer seater? Lee?

Back