Spot of luck

I took a lad out with me this evening called Matt who is an SD member (Giddystoat) and a friend of a friend, he is fairly new to stalking and has only managed to take about 5 deer and never managed to shoot a Red so i said i would try and get him onto one. We met in the agreed place and he jumped in with me and off we went. When we arrived at the field in question we got out and got ourselves together and off we went. We passed through the gate into the field and glassed the field before we stalked the full length of it to the high seat, 200 yards down the field there was a Roe buck browsing on the headland of the Wheat field. This presented a problem as we had to pass it to get to the seat! I was happy that it was plenty early enough to try the buck and still have the time to sort things out before the Reds would show so i gave it a few peeps with the buttalo, the buck seemed to show little interest and slowly walked to the left and out of sight behind a couple of trees, we waited an couple of minutes and approached, as we took a few steps forward the buck showed and was coming straight towards us! I gave a few more peeps and it exploded towards us at a crazy pace! By now we had sunk down low in the long grass of the headland, at around 5 yards away it decided to stop and look straight at us before passing us and stopping again at about 10 yards when Matt shot it through the neck dropping it dead on the spot! It turned out to be a cracking 6 point buck that we were both very happy with. We dealt with it and stalked on to the high seat where we sat for ages watching the pigeons dropping in and gorging themselves on the wheat (they will come another day) after an hour or so i looked back to my left to see a Red deer had showed from the wood and was grazing on the edge of the field, it was hard to see what it was as the trees had lots of low branches and i could'nt see it clearly. After a while i could see it was a Hind and Calve. Another 20 minutes or so passed when i looked down to see that a pricket had come out from the wood and was grazing away at about 40 yards! We decided to leave it for a few minutes to try and let it come out a bit further as the high seat is very high and the shot could have been a little awkward due to the angle, it was'nt long though and he sensed something was wrong and i could see he was going to make off if we were'nt quick, I gave Matt the go ahead and he got a shot off before the pricket decided where to go. The shot did'nt give any thump indicating a solid impact and the deer made no reaction which concerned me a little as Matt was sure the shot was good. The deer bolted back into the wood and vanished. We sat tight for a few minutes before approaching the site of the shot where i found bright frothy blood indicating a lung shot which was good to see, we followed the spots of blood back into the wood for around 60 yards and there was Matts first Red deer stone dead in the long foliage shot nicely through the lung and still hit the heart due to the steep angle of the shot. Matt was over the moon with the evening and so was i, it was great to see someone break their duck and i would just like to thank him for the evening as he is a great lad and i enjoyed his company. I was hoping to get him a shot so to get him 2 was a real spot of luck.

Last edited:
If its luck we are talking about I took a friend out which has only been stalking for 2 yrs and only shot about 5 roe inall, last week i had him out with me for five days he shot 5 good 6 point roe bucks and a 14 point stag . I took him down the shop to buy me a lotto ticket but that's where his luck run out .

Gadget

If its luck we are talking about I took a friend out which has only been stalking for 2 yrs and only shot about 5 roe inall, last week i had him out with me for five days he shot 5 good 6 point roe bucks and a 14 point stag . I took him down the shop to buy me a lotto ticket but that's where his luck run out .

Gadget

Fair play, why do i get the feeling though that if i had posted about having a black cat you would have had a blacker one? Shame to shoot a 14 pointer in velvet.

I took a lad out with me this evening called Matt who is an SD member (Giddystoat) and a friend of a friend, he is fairly new to stalking and has only managed to take about 5 deer and never managed to shoot a Red so i said i would try and get him onto one. We met in the agreed place and he jumped in with me and off we went. When we arrived at the field in question we got out and got ourselves together and off we went. We passed through the gate into the field and glassed the field before we stalked the full length of it to the high seat, 200 yards down the field there was a Roe buck browsing on the headland of the Wheat field. This presented a problem as we had to pass it to get to the seat! I was happy that it was plenty early enough to try the buck and still have the time to sort things out before the Reds would show so i gave it a few peeps with the buttalo, the buck seemed to show little interest and slowly walked to the left and out of sight behind a couple of trees, we waited an couple of minutes and approached, as we took a few steps forward the buck showed and was coming straight towards us! I gave a few more peeps and it exploded towards us at a crazy pace! At around 5 yards away it decided to stop and look straight at us before passing us and stopping again at about 10 yards when Matt shot it through the neck dropping it dead on the spot! It turned out to be a cracking 6 point buck that we were both very happy with. We dealt with it and stalked on to the high seat where we sat for ages watching the pigeons dropping in and gorging themselves on the wheat (they will come another day) after an hour or so i looked back to my left to see a Red deer had showed from the wood and was grazing on the edge of the field, it was hard to see what it was as the trees had lots of low branches and i could'nt see it clearly. After a while i could see it was a Hind and Calve. Another 20 minutes or so passed when i looked down to see that a pricket had come out from the wood and was grazing away at about 40 yards! We decided to leave it for a few minutes to try and let it come out a bit further as the high seat is very high and the shot could have been a little awkward due to the angle, it was'nt long though and he sensed something was wrong and i could see he was going to make off if we were'nt quick, I gave Matt the go ahead and he got a shot off before the pricket decided where to go. The shot did'nt give any thump indicating a solid impact and the deer made no reaction which concerned me a little as Matt was sure the shot was good. The deer bolted back into the wood and vanished. We sat tight for a few minutes before approaching the site of the shot where i found bright frothy blood indicating a lung shot which was good to see, we followed the spots of blood back into the wood for around 60 yards and there was Matts first Red deer stone dead in the long foliage shot nicely through the lung and still hit the heart due to the steep angle of the shot. Matt was over the moon with the evening and so was i, it was great to see someone break their duck and i would just like to thank him for the evening as he is a great lad and i enjoyed his company. I was hoping to get him a shot so to get him 2 was a real spot of luck.

Good to see people helping their mates out and other members of the site. I bet your mate is still on a high!! a good memory for both of you, and that is also something money cant buy. Good memories and moments with good friends. Well done.

Nice one, well done on helping a member out. i shot my first deer on dartmoor which was a red spiker with a member off here. so we all know how your mate is feeling with his first red. enjoyed the rite up too.

Thanks guys, it was a strange feeling really as although i have shot hundreds and hundreds of deer myself it really took me back to my first sucessful stalks and gave me a fair buzz that seems to die with doing something for a long time. The buck coming in so close was pretty amazing as i had never had one react like that to the call! It gave me a real sense of achievement to be able to help someone with very little stalking and who is also keen to listen and learn, so i can only imagine how happy Matt must have felt.

Nice one rpa , are there many stags showing in your area ? with you on the 14 point stag.

Gadget was the 14 point stag injured or something ?

nice write up RPA:thumb:.
theres a lot of satisfaction to be had helping out new guys or people with less/no access to regular stalking.
Sinbad

Good to see people helping their mates out and other members of the site. I bet your mate is still on a high!! a good memory for both of you, and that is also something money cant buy. Good memories and moments with good friends. Well done.

^^This^^ :)

Yep, i enjoy taking someone out with either little stalking or little experience and getting them a shot as it gives them a great memory and me a sense of acheivement. I never charge them if they are friends, (i would expect to charge someone with plenty of stalking/experience). The trouble is in this day and age i wont take just anyone out with me as these days you just cant trust people to not go in afterwards trying to get your stalking so i just try and keep it to close friends such as Rodger (grumpyoldsod) and Jerry (JVR243). Speaking of which how are you two old farts? Lol.

Yep, i enjoy taking someone out with either little stalking or little experience and getting them a shot as it gives them a great memory and me a sense of acheivement. I never charge them if they are friends, (i would expect to charge someone with plenty of stalking/experience). The trouble is in this day and age i wont take just anyone out with me as these days you just cant trust people to not go in afterwards trying to get your stalking so i just try and keep it to close friends such as Rodger (grumpyoldsod) and Jerry (JVR243). Speaking of which how are you two old farts? Lol.

Yeah ok bud , good to see that you are still here , thought we had lost you to chasing a pimply ball around 18 holes !!! :rofl:

Yeah ok bud , good to see that you are still here , thought we had lost you to chasing a pimply ball around 18 holes !!! :rofl:

Lol, yeah still out there walking after it, hitting it again, walking after it! Just waiting for my variation (only sent it off this week) when it comes back we must get out, if the weather stays like this the corn will still be standing and the stags will be getting so fat they wont be able to move!

Hello RPA 6MM BR.
What a great post , like you after so many year's and so so many deer the buzz can be a bit diluted, I have to say to see and help a novice who is trustworthy !! , and that soaks up every thing you say or show is as, and usually better than taking the shot oneself . Sadly though one has to be so careful as life in the past has shown me not all are what they say. Anyway well done . Regards Widu.

Thanks Widu, you are quite right, unfortunately some people are only out to get one over on you and take what they can which is why i am so carefull who i take anywhere. How is your dog doing?

Lol, yeah still out there walking after it, hitting it again, walking after it! Just waiting for my variation (only sent it off this week) when it comes back we must get out, if the weather stays like this the corn will still be standing and the stags will be getting so fat they wont be able to move!

Yeah sounds good mate , need to get out for a night with the lamp too.
Totally agree with being careful who knows your ground , there are far too many around that will sh1t on you at the first opertunity

Back