Rivers West Clothing

SussexFallow

Chaps

This is a heads up on rivers west smock and ranger trousers I bought last week for the costly sum of 260. Well I went rabbiting monday night and got absolutely soaked!! It didnt rain in fact a nice warm evening. When I took the kit off I was sodden. VERY DISAPPOINTED :cry: Had to turn inside out to let it dry off. These magazines have a lot to answer for... Rant over..go on someone tell me its the best theyve ever bought:mad:

ATB Steve

Chaps

This is a heads up on rivers west smock and ranger trousers I bought last week for the costly sum of 260. Well I went rabbiting monday night and got absolutely soaked!! It didnt rain in fact a nice warm evening. When I took the kit off I was sodden. VERY DISAPPOINTED :cry: Had to turn inside out to let it dry off. These magazines have a lot to answer for... Rant over..go on someone tell me its the best theyve ever bought:mad:

ATB Steve

So you sweated a lot?
You may find it works better in winter with a proper layering. Most of this kit isn't intended for conditions above 5c.

P.S. I don't own Rivers stuff, have a mix of Jahti, Seeland, Harkilla and Laksen. Most would be a bit toasty and sweaty this time of year.

Last edited:
My River West trousers leaked on the right knee second time out:confused:

Wouldn't buy them again.

ATB

Tahr

Must admit I havent used my Rivers West trousers much but I did belly crawl into a group of reds through all sorts of wetness the other week and stayed dry. I would speak to the dealer as that pair dont sound to do what it says on the tin!!

Chaps

ATB Steve

Sorry Sussex I dont think you did your research. Rivers West gear is not designed for highly active stalking. It is cracking in the winter rain but it is not summer stalking gear. What thickness of the material did you buy?

I've got the Ranger jacket, first time used was on a hill stalk with a couple of layers and a roe sack. When I got back to the car and stripped off it was dripping wet inside the back. I removed a layer for the next time and used the pit zips and it was a bit better. I use it reguarly with just a shirt up here in Aberdeenshire on cool evenings and no problems. I'm glad I only paid £100 for near mint secondhand on bay and not full price though.
I think I will be investing soon in some serious Gore-tex or simliar that is properly breathable - I've got some fantastic Berghaus and Rab stuff for mountian use, trouble is its bright red & blue and you can hear me coming for miles!

I cannot believe I am the only stalker to just use a Buffalo special six. Nowt underneath it, nowt over the top, good down to minus ten and toasty when wet...best clothing ever.

River west is definatily river sweat soon loads of people with this problem, Buffalo special six great jackets last for ages

going out in sumer in the heat you ned to use a lightweight cotton or wicking top.
i have got rivers west kit i own the smock,ranger pants,hoodie and also the light jacket i use them every day and stalking in them most days
thay are the best kit i have used and iv used other kit as well and comes know were near as good iv been sat under trees up high seats when the heavens open and never got wet.

the stalking i do is up and down hills and harsh woodland.as most people who know me will agree its not easy stalking and iv not had any problem with rivers west at all. Autum and winter you will be glad you got rivers west on your back as eggy says.

All i can say is if u use the right kit for the time of year then rivers west kit is one of the best you can buy.

I wear a Rivers West Jarrett jacket for wildfowling in the winter. It's nor breathable and when I squelch a couple of miles through the Kentish mud carrying all the gear, the inner layers do get damp and it's a pain. But then you sit down for a few hours in the North Sea wind and rain in January, and it keeps you warm and dry, which is what it's for. I don't wear it when I'm walking around roughshooting though. Depends what your main need is. For 'fowling, it's not duing of exposure!

Great kit in all other ways and im sure it will be toasty when im sitting out for wild boar this winter. But definitely no good if you plan to walk anywhere!!

ATB steve

Well I've got the Eider jacket which I use for wildfowling and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread been out in -10 snow blizzards,torrential downpours and it's never let any water but I don't walk out to the marsh in it I put it in my rucksack and put it on when I'm in position unless the weather is terrible on my way out.........

Great kit in all other ways and im sure it will be toasty when im sitting out for wild boar this winter. But definitely no good if you plan to walk anywhere!!

ATB steve
Nothing to do with the Rivers West,you were sweating at the thought of seeing 8p go up the barrel everytime you shot the 22lr:rofl:

The smock will also be "warmer" than a traditional jacket. Being able to open a full lenght front zip helps cooling down more than any breathable membrane.

I just bought a ranger jacket to use for pigeon shooting a bit later in the year - Hoping it will keep me dry and warm in the hide...

Back