Solar car battery charger

private fraser

The 4wd doesn't get used a lot and I'm fed up with the battery running down due to immobiliser etc. current.
Has anyone got/used one of the solar trickle chargers on the market and any recommendations please ?.

Thanks,

fraser

Hi,i use one all the time as my van don't get out much,knocks out about 1-1/2 amps plug it in your lighter socket,there's a little one way diod so it doesn't drain.any old camping shop.good luck.Croydbay.

use one all the time use the car once every two months. No good pluging it into the lighter as you would have to leave the ignition on

Some cars leave the lighter socket live all tghe time so it is worth a check before you start worrying about wiring jobs.

David.

Maplins do one for about a tenner I think. Our clay shooting club uses them and the trap batteries seem to hold up much better with them.

As said before some cars have perminant 'live' cigar sockets, also accessory sockets in the boot are mainly 'live' not ignition 'live'. All depends whay vehicle you have.

I got one from Maplin Electronics which is plugged straight into landrover cigarette lighter socket and keeps the battery charged.

It's 4.8 watt, 17.5 Volt and 260mA Working power.

Think it was about £20.00 but well worth it. Charges your battery even in cloudy overcast day's as it only requires daytime light.

(Also comes with crocodile clips so you can connect directly onto your battery)

Last edited:
Maplins do one for about a tenner I think. Our clay shooting club uses them and the trap batteries seem to hold up much better with them.

Funnily enough just got one for my 4x4 from maplin on Friday. I have been caught out a few times now with battery running low, especially on cold damp days. My mrs has not been pleased coming out with jump leads at stupid times in the morning.

Cost £10, I will need to connect mine straight to the battery as the cigar lighter does not work when the ignition is not on.

Been told they work a treat.

Cheers

Ross

Plus 1, for the Maplin. I've one on the boat to keep battery charged up that also runs bilge bump - she's a leaky old wooden boat. It's survived a year outside through scottish weather - not bad for £20 odd that I paid for it.

Back