Thread: New Scope!

Cool New Scope!

I need a new scope and would appreciate an expert opinion or two on the choice that I have narrowed it down to :-

Swarovski Habicht 3-12 x 50
    Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50i

Many thanks

what type of shooting are you going to be carring out Nick.

it has to be the Swaro the Duralyt's are cheap and there is a good reason for that, dont get me wrong the Zeiss Duralyt range are very good for the money but at the money they are, there is many more scope's on the market that will match and or beat them Leupold for one, Zeiss do use a nice bit of glass in the Duralyt's but if you list these ones you have i think you will be better of with the Swaro.

what you should be asking your self though is what do i need from my scope,i.e low light shooting, night time only,long range stalking, short range stalking, moving prey, do you need to spend the amount you will on one of these when some thing more appropriate would do, lower mag, smaller objective.

some shooters seem to think they need the biggest objective they can get on their rifle, and believe they need a big mag capability when infact they do not.

I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.

I'm very far from an expert but I do have both the 3-12 x 50 Habicht and the 2-12 x 50 Z6 (not the 'i'). Field use is as yet limited but frankly the difference between them is marginal, so the additional / related question you need to answer over and above those suggested by trooper3.1 is will you 'need' (/want) illumination ? Obviously the Habicht is discontinued now so it may be more difficult to source one. Are you thinking of a secondhand Z6i ? A brand new z6i MkII is going to be close on double the cost of a secondhand Habicht, which looks like a hell of a premium for illumination...

Had a Zeiss duralyt for 12 months and very impressed. Great glass, robust and reliable. Saw plenty of action in the field in all weather conditions, plus bumps, knocks and the usual wear n tear. Never failed or needed re zero, only changed to another Zeiss to improve low light performance and get illuminated reticle.