Now I've done it! 7mm 08

mickthebrick

Well, I finally made a decision on what stalking rifle to buy and was just waiting for the right (cheap) rifle to come up for sale. It happened yesterday, I looked on the internet and a battered Browning Medallion in 7mm08 with S&B 6x42 with swing off mounts came up for £450! So I put my trousers on(luckily) and drove to the shop to have a look and put a deposit on it(pending FAC return). I dont like the shiny varnish at all and it's full of knocks and scratches but for the money I didn't think I could go too wrong, providing it shoots straight but I suppose that's the risk you take with a used rifle.

Needless to say I'm a bit excited, but have I picked the right caliber ;)

New gun

Hello mate

well done on the new (to you) gun.

Thats the calibre I asked for on my fac but they only let me have a 243 to start with. There is a great range of bullets for it - up to about 175g for boar etc - you've picked right in my humble opinion.

My gun was bought sight unseen, second hand - and im really pleased with it, shoots fine.

A bit of paint stripper and some very fine wire wool will get rid of the nasty varnish - and some gun stock oil will make it look a lot better.

You could go the whole hog and steam the bumps and scratches out, but I wouldn't bother - it'll get a few knocks when you use it.

You'll have to let us know how it shoots - im still trying different bullets and weights down the range, but its a good way to get to know the gun and practice your shooting - and it really builds confidence.

Cheers

Daemon

:D

Cant wait to get my hands on it. I suppose all the dents and scratches mean that it's been well used but on the upside that also means it does the job. I'll look forward to tarting it up a bit and making it my own.
It's ridiculous that your FLO would only let you have a .243 to start with! Part of my thinking is if you get a caliber that'll do everything(not saying 7.08 is the best) from Munties up to Boar then you only need one gun and not a whole armoury rattling around the gun cabinet.

I got .22lr, .17HMR and .223 on my first application. Am I right in thinking that I can apply for a 1 for 1 variation and swap the .17 for 7.08 and not have to pay? I hope so, even more money saved :rolleyes:

For that sort of money sounds as if you have a good deal there. Don't worry about the woodwork - strip of the varnish, raise the dents and give it a good oil finish - not difficult just takes time.

Check the bore - if it looks clean and sharp it probably is OK. But ultimately only shooting will tell. If it is completely shot out, then you should be able to rebarrel it for c£500. 7mm-08 looks to me to be a very useful and versitile calibre - flat shooting and easy shooting, and you can shoot just about everything with it worldwide save for dangerous game.

Woodwork

Hi Mick

Im going to be stripping off and retouching an old shotgun's woodwork in the next week or so - i'll let you know how well or badly it goes and hopefully pass on some pointers. If I scrounge a digital camera i'll photograph its progress.

Ive (amongst many weird jobs) spent a year as an antiques restorer in my youth, and can't see it being too difficult - just take your time, be gentle and only apply a new finish when you are completely happy with the new surface.

Cheers

Daemon

mickthebrick i think you have chosen right
just hope it shoots straight for you
as mentioned you can allways get it rebarrled
thats what i had to do with mine but all well worth it in the end
keep us posted regards pete .

I dont know what'll be more exciting, waiting for my FAC back or finding out whether it shoots straight :rolleyes:
I hope it does, then like you say I can get on with stripping it, raising the dents and oiling it so it looks like new. Let me know how your shotgun goes Daemo so I know what NOT to do ;)

It's a bit sad but I'm looking forward to using a rifle that isn't screwcut and moderated. They are definately more "pointable", though the A Bolt is a very light rifle so I may change my mind.

I'm sending the paperwork in tomorrow so hopefully it wont be too long before I get my FAC back. Everyone I've spoken to doesn't think I'll have any trouble getting the variation(which is always a concern). Other than take my DSC1 what more can I say, other than I've been stalking with "XY&Z" on land which they manage and I've got a Roe head in my back yard from one of the ones I shot myself! I'm a member of a shooting range aswell and insured by BASC.

Shotgun

You've hit the nail on the head there mate - tips on what NOT to do!

I have faith, maybe misguided, but faith none the less.

Daemon

:confused:

It'll be my first stalking rifle, my .223 states fox and vermin. Whether It's worth asking them to add small deer to it I dont know. Having seen what a fast, light, approx 80grn .243 does to a roe I dont think there'll be much less damage from a 55grn .223. I'd like to find out though :D

I'm thinking of taking the .17Hmr off my ticket and replacing it with the 7.08 but I dont know if they'll do that. I should really phone them up when I get time(and remember to do it).

As ar as I know one for one variations are calibre specific. i.e one 7-08 for another 7-08. might have to trade it off but keep the .17 if you can....

I can believe they might be centerfire/rimfire specific but I can't see why I'd need to have 7.08 so I could swap it for another 7.08.

Just looked at the Home office guidance. It appears you are right, provided that the total number of firearms does not increase, no fee to pay.

mick the only reason i ask about the rifle is because
when i bought my 7mm 08 it was also shortish barrel
and a light gun and was also looking forward to shooting
without a mod but it is quite a bang and a flash if your not
used to a bigger caliber i started to flinch and lose confidence
so had a mod added to it and now all well and i love the rifle
mick not saying this will happen to you mate i hope it dosent
all the best with your set up and shooting
regards pete .

I know where you're coming from re the recoil and flash! I must admit it is a concern. I've fired un-modded .308's before but I think one was a Tikka and the other a CZ. The CZ was quite heavy but still recoiled more than I expected. In fact the magazine fell out twice! Funny on the range but not so funny when sat in a high seat :lol:
Did you find yourself flinching when you used it on deer or was it mainly when you were zeroing and "playing" with it?

mick it was mainly on the deer i clipped one off the sticks
it really ****ed me off and i did not shoot it again till i got
it sorted when i got it back and went out on the range to
zero with three different rifles when it came to the 7 mm
sounds stupid i know but was scared to pull the trigger
after a few shots i was ok and have been ever since
like i said i love it now and can see me shooting it for years
mick any thing i can help you with just ask
all the best pete .

Stock finishing

Hi Mick

As promised, photo's of the shotgun im "improving" - you can see the state of it on the pistol grip, the stock has been brushed with Nitromorse and rubbed with very fine wire wool to get to bare wood:

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

Tomorrow i'll stain it with some walnut stock oil, and then finishing oil.

The gun cost £100.00 but it'll look great when its done - ive not cleaned the action because I don't want a new looking gun, just nicer woodwork.

Cheers

Daemon

Hi Deamon
I was given a good tip when i dinged my stock on my shotgun.
Use a damp towel and an iron, it will 'draw ' out the ding.

Now you have got the stock bare might be worth a go before you oil the stock.

Jonathon

Stock

Hi

Nice one Jonathon - i'll give it an ironing in the morning!, to be honest there are quite a few dings - but for the sake of an hours work its worth trying.

I'll upload more pictures tomorrow, good or bad!

Daemon

Good luck with the gun, remember even 'heavily used' rifles will outlive their owners with ease so I really doubt the barrel will be shot out.

I second the suggestion for a moderator, will help you shoot more accurately and reduce hearing damage.

I love bargain rifles, my first .243 was a £150 Brno and I used it for many many deer before passing it on.

Back