Crown types. Preferences?

Tackleberry270

Apart from the obvious benefit of protecting the lands and grooves at the muzzle, are there benefits from a ballistics point of view with regards to the angle (90deg or an angle) or type of crown?

Apart from the obvious benefit of protecting the lands and grooves at the muzzle, are there benefits from a ballistics point of view with regards to the angle (90deg or an angle) or type of crown?

Not that I am aware of. The target shooters have their own ideas. At one time a target rifle had no crowing at all just a flat muzzle. Now they tend to go with an 11 degree crown. Some have a recessed crown butt he base of the recess is just a flat face. One of my rifles seems to have a straight 60 degree chamfer and it shoots very well indeed.

As long as it's true to the bore you should be fine.

i have experimented with my own f-class rifles the 90 deg target recessed crown and the 11 deg and i cant notice any diffrence ,as long as its cut sharp and true to the bore not the lands thats more important

Unless getting into really micro analysis, it is only the exact 'edge' - the point at which the bore terminates that is the key factor ( within bounds ) - as others said, so long as true to bore and sharp/ consistent, the profile of the metal from the outside of the barrel to that point is very much secondary.

Yes uniformity on the crown is key. I did some high speed photography on projectiles exiting the muzzle and the crap that comes out is phenomenal.

i have experimented with my own f-class rifles the 90 deg target recessed crown and the 11 deg and i cant notice any diffrence ,as long as its cut sharp and true to the bore not the lands thats more important

True that. The 11 degree thing hit in the US in the 70's as a top shooter/gunsmith said that it was best with BT bullets. I remember people bringing in accurate 500M match rifles with perfect crowns and wanting them recut with 11-degree crowns. Soon it became a "standard".~Muir

True that. The 11 degree thing hit in the US in the 70's as a top shooter/gunsmith said that it was best with BT bullets. I remember people bringing in accurate 500M match rifles with perfect crowns and wanting them recut with 11-degree crowns. Soon it became a "standard".~Muir

I love it :rofl:

I crowned my 257 Improved with a Recessed Target type crown and my 22BR with a 11 degree crown both are very accurate rifles, the BR more so which could be accounted for by the BRs more inherent accuracy.
I would be interesting to see if the crowns were reversed what effect on accuracy it would have, i suspect none i also would not want to alter accurate shooting rifles for the sake of a test.

Ian.

Off course if a winner always wears a pink cap, then soon enough everyone will be wearing pink caps.

I think the biggest joke is when people talk about their 11 deg target crown which is in fact
just a 45 deg crown because the smith rammed in a counter sinker to de-bur. Like this one.
Although this CZ shot quite well.
edi
223czcrown.jpg

I used to have a concave one in a sportco k hornet. It left perfect lines of carbon radiating from the bore in line with the lands. It also shot very well.

Back