opinions please

willowbank

Hi can anyone tell me if a T8 mod on a .270 will be that much quieter than a T4, is the extra weight justified by increased noise suppression.

My wishlist is a .270 with synthetic stock, threaded for moderator, not sure about a stainless barrel (thoughts on that please) avoiding dedicated mounts if poss as I have several sets available.

Already have Zeiss Victory varipoint 3-12x56 with IR waiting to go on it.

Appreciate views on the mod thanks.

Not sure with the .270 but on the .243 the difference is negligible for the shooter. I have used both T8 and T4 on .243, the T4 only adds about 2 inches and is much lighter than the T8. I would not go back to the T8 for the .243. Having said that I have kept a T8 on the 30-06 and haven't tried a T4 on it.

Yesterday evening I was located about thirty yards to the right of my pal when he shot a pricket with his .270 20 inch barrel and A-tech Maxim moderator. The report was remarkably quiet. In the pre moderator days, this particular rifle was very loud, recoiled quite strongly and looked like a mini flamethrower at dusk and dawn. My pal says that it no longer kicks and there were no fireworks from my standpoint.

Not sure with the .270 but on the .243 the difference is negligible for the shooter. I have used both T8 and T4 on .243, the T4 only adds about 2 inches and is much lighter than the T8. I would not go back to the T8 for the .243. Having said that I have kept a T8 on the 30-06 and haven't tried a T4 on it.

Yesterday evening I was located about thirty yards to the right of my pal when he shot a pricket with his .270 20 inch barrel and A-tech Maxim moderator. The report was remarkably quiet. In the pre moderator days, this particular rifle was very loud, recoiled quite strongly and looked like a mini flamethrower at dusk and dawn. My pal says that it no longer kicks and there were no fireworks from my standpoint.

Hi I have a T4 on .223 that I use for foxing and its reasonably quiet, having used it without the mod on a few occasions there was a noticeable increase in recoil and about a foot of flame.

As im setting up a dedicated rifle for stalking from scratch the question of moderator type is a priority as is the actual make of .270, all my rifles so far are CZ they are absolute value for money workhorses, the Skodas of the shooting world.

Open to all opinions and suggestions..... thanks.

As with so many things we cannot have it all ways at once. With moderators it very much depends upon how important additional weight and length added to the barrel is to you in your particular type of stalking. For example a person who mainly shoots from a high seat may not place much importance on weight and added length, whilst a person who walks miles may value minimum weight and as little added length as possible.
At the risk of setting off a furore, I remain unconvinced that there is a substantial difference in sound reduction for almost any of the quality products, from the perspective of the shooter. However that may be partly due to firing too many unmoderated shots in the past and the effect on my hearing.
There are however very substantial differences in weight, length and diameter and cost. It is a matter of what is the best compromise for you. Good luck with your quest.

Hi Willowbank i have a .270 and use an a-tec maxim and i find the noise reduction acceptable, i have tried it with my T8 and the noise reduction is greater.
but the balance of the rifle is far better with the a-tec, the problem with the t8 is the fact that the rear bush can mark the barrel, because the maxim is much lighter the rear bush is not required, the a-tec maxim is easy to strip down it is modular so you can add baffles if required. have a look at one
cheers geoff

Back