.30 cal mod on a .243?

palmer_mike

Out of interest,
Is it ok to use a .30 cal mod on a .243 - will it still be efficient enough to reduce sound to a safe level?
I'd like to just have the one mod for .243 and .308 if poss - but not if it won't be a practical solution.

Yeah it will work fine, it will not reduce the sound to the levels that a calibre specific mod will but will still do a good job.

Out of interest,
Is it ok to use a .30 cal mod on a .243 - will it still be efficient enough to reduce sound to a safe level?
I'd like to just have the one mod for .243 and .308 if poss - but not if it won't be a practical solution.

I did the same for years
Waste of time in my eyes
you can only use one rifle at a time
Then the other issue is if you hav an over barrel mod you may need to keep changing the plastic collet to fit each rifle
so you need a forward facing mod
plus if you are bothered about noise and performance
a .30 cal will be a lot noisier on the .243 than your mate who has a dedicated .243 mod
then the last issue
which mod
as some mods are better suited to caliber type
ie some mods just work on a 30cal but not on a .222 or .243
personally
the extra £250 aprox to get a 2nd mod in my eyes and experience is well worth it

I used a .30 cal T8 on my rifles from .222/ .243/ .308 and found it worked very well.
The same rear bush fitted the profiles of both the .243 and .308 so all I needed was another rear bush, £3 from Jacksons, for the .222.
My theory behind it was that if a .30 cal moderator had a large enough expansion chamber to 'swallow' the exiting gases from a .308 rifle enough to reduce the noise then the gases from any lower calibres have more than enough room in the expansion chamber to reduce the noise also.

My ASE SL5 in 30cal sits on both my 30-06 and .243. It reduces felt recoil very well and to my ears dampens the sound equally on both. Don't wast your money buying two mods. When one will do.

I used ase ultra s5 30 cal mod on my 30-06 and 25-06 and it works great,my mates did say that it was quieter on 30-06 though,maybe down to fps difference and the hole in the end made to suit 30 cal,the hole isn't many fow bigger than the bullet

I use a 3rd eye spartan with 30 cal baffles on my 25-06 and 222 as I don't see the point in shelling out another £200 on a second mod when I don't need to. A mate has 17 cal and 30 cal baffles for his, there is a slight difference between the noise reduction on his 17 fireball with the different baffle stacks but I can't be arsed with all the swapping about.

Rick

Out of interest,

No problem my .243 has 30 cal mod.

Jimbo

The DB difference isn't going to be noticed with the Mk1 ear hole, there is no noticeable difference as such, what makes a difference is environment which is where folk say I can hear a difference!

I am up to 6 calibres on one mod now!
.17 through 243!

a decent 30 cal mod will still work better on a .243 than a crap .243 one!!

most are graded in either 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 9mm bore
or are in .25, .30 and .35 bores

very few calibre specific ones are made

Thanks for the advice guys.
I just bought a .30 cal ASE Northstar mod yesterday. It's to go on my .243 but I plan to get a .308 in a year or so and would prefer the option of using it on both (not tight, just careful - lol). Was just after some reassurance that I hadn't made a silly mistake - so thanks for the replies.
Mike

I have a .30 cal pes t12 on my .243 and it works brill,in fact I cant tell any difference between that and my mates dedicated .243 mod,dont think the deer or foxes can either.

to be honest I always considered the specific degree noise reduction to be secondary to the other advantages of a mod i.e reduced recoil muzzle flip. I do now have separate mods for the 243 and 308 but thats more down to convienience of use than specific mods for the job. If I used 243 95% of the time and just used the 308 every now and then for say an annual trip to scotland on reds then I would be perfectly happy to use 1 mod in 30cal. If you use both guns regulaly then I would opt for mods for each rifle.

I used a .30 cal T8 on my rifles from .222/ .243/ .308 and found it worked very well.
The same rear bush fitted the profiles of both the .243 and .308 so all I needed was another rear bush, £3 from Jacksons, for the .222.
My theory behind it was that if a .30 cal moderator had a large enough expansion chamber to 'swallow' the exiting gases from a .308 rifle enough to reduce the noise then the gases from any lower calibres have more than enough room in the expansion chamber to reduce the noise also.
yes but a bigger hole lets more gas escape when you have it fitted to a smaler caliber so its louder yes it still works better than not using a silencer but not as efective as dedicated call specifick to the caliber

yes but a bigger hole lets more gas escape when you have it fitted to a smaler caliber so its louder yes it still works better than not using a silencer but not as efective as dedicated call specifick to the caliber
The .30 cal moderator has more internal volume than a smaller cal moderator so by the time the smaller amount of gas has got to the exit hole it is less to make a noise.
An extreme example would be to use a .30 cal mod on a .22rf for example, hardly any gasses would exit the hole at all !!

The .30 cal moderator has more internal volume than a smaller cal moderator so by the time the smaller amount of gas has got to the exit hole it is less to make a noise.
An extreme example would be to use a .30 cal mod on a .22rf for example, hardly any gasses would exit the hole at all !!

i took a .25 rated ase utra s5 that i had on my 243 and put it in a lathe and drilled it out to 30 cal to fit on my 308. i did not notice any difference when i used it on my 243

Back