2nd day reloading .222

Fifestalker25

Well guys, loaded up another 5 loads same as yestaerday and the shot ok about a 2inch group so i decided to make up another 5 and extend the OAL a bit to experiment. Loaded up still with 1.6cc dipper but extended the OAL from 2.095 to 2.150 and what a difference, 3shots in under an inch. Will post a pic as soon as the Burd comes back with camera, but it leads me to as another question. do i make up another 20 rounds or so to see how accurate it is and if perfect just leave it at that, or do i keep experimenting. Cheers

I like how you phrased it as "keep experimenting" when you are talking about the 2nd batch of reloads you've ever made

It really depends on what sort of person you are some people are always striving for improvement, for some hand loading becomes as much a hobby as shooting so will continue to experiment.

In the early days I experimented a bit until I got grouping like you are getting and I left it at that been using the same load for over twenty years, I have no illusions about my shooting anything better than inch grouping would be wasted on me as I can't shoot better than that, and the truth is neither can a lot of people but they won't admit it.

The only experimenting I did after that was work up loads for for a couple of different bullet weights that would shoot to the same POA so that I could change from one bullet weight to another without having to re zero.

I like how you phrased it as "keep experimenting" when you are talking about the 2nd batch of reloads you've ever made
Whats wrong with trying different things out as long as i keep within the limits of the .222 load data. I dont have any scales at the moment so it will just be with bullet seating depths at the moment. Sorry if i burst your bubble but 2nd day and shooting under an inch, whats wrong with that, as long as a play safe.

Whats wrong with trying different things out as long as i keep within the limits of the .222 load data. I dont have any scales at the moment so it will just be with bullet seating depths at the moment. Sorry if i burst your bubble but 2nd day and shooting under an inch, whats wrong with that, as long as a play safe.

Nothing wrong at all - just compared to the levels of effort that some of the F-class chaps put in to work out load variables I thought your use of the term was funny

Where in Fife are you?

I mainly use an RCBS 1500 Chargemaster - happy to give you access to it for an hour or so if you want to fine-tune your powder charges

Last edited:
Just outside Anstruther. Thanks for offer, will be getting some scales in the next week or two so will just see how the dipper performs for now.

Hi Fifestalker i recommend you get a set of scales ASAP i have RCBS 750 Rangemaster and found it to be good or you can get ballance scales that are cheaper. Any are better than relying on DIPPERS. I also reload for .222 and achieve clover leaf results.

Kind regards Jimbo

Ahh! - It's already started - What about the other two shots in the group? :) I've been looking for the perfect load for over 40 years and still looking. Is your super new load going to retain enough energy/stability out past 200yds. Most loading manuals start with loads at a very low level and you are below this figure - I find most loads start to come together at about 2/3 up the loading table range, seldom at the very bottom. You have just started to skim the surface of a very deep pond:D (promising start though)

Ahh! - It's already started - What about the other two shots in the group? :) I've been looking for the perfect load for over 40 years and still looking. Is your super new load going to retain enough energy/stability out past 200yds. Most loading manuals start with loads at a very low level and you are below this figure - I find most loads start to come together at about 2/3 up the loading table range, seldom at the very bottom. You have just started to skim the surface of a very deep pond:D (promising start though)
First shot was to the left and 2nd a bit low, both my fault. never planned on really shooting past 200yrds. I understand what yous are saying aswel about scales, will be getting some soon.
Was just happy that changing the seating depth a bit made a big improvment. Thanks

Hi Fifestalker i recommend you get a set of scales ASAP i have RCBS 750 Rangemaster and found it to be good or you can get ballance scales that are cheaper. Any are better than relying on DIPPERS. I also reload for .222 and achieve clover leaf results.

Kind regards Jimbo

Lord yes! Loading by volume is a really dicey proposition.

On the other hand, this guy has made about 20 cartridges to date and has seen improvement (Or sensed it. Too few rounds fired IMHO) so why are we pushing him to a Charge Master? He's hardly finished experimenting with seating depth, I'd think. Or changing primers. Next we'll be telling him to get a Co-Axial press and bench rest dies with micrometer seater. How about we put our collective heads together and figure out how he can improve groups within the parameters of his equipment? It would be far more educational than sending him out on a spending spree.~Muir

On the other hand, this guy has made about 20 cartridges to date and has seen improvement (Or sensed it. Too few rounds fired IMHO) so why are we pushing him to a Charge Master? He's hardly finished experimenting with seating depth, I'd think. Or changing primers. Next we'll be telling him to get a Co-Axial press and bench rest dies with micrometer seater. How about we put our collective heads together and figure out how he can improve groups within the parameters of his equipment? It would be far more educational than sending him out on a spending spree.~Muir

Well said

Kind regards Jimbo

Ha Ha

I dont have any scales either.
Have no intention of getting any. Did buy some beam scales but sold them before using them!

The two calibres (.243 and .270) I started loading for about 2 years ago both got down to sub 1" groups in very similar circumstances to the OP.

I did it in 3 loads with no seating depth changes....

Ha Ha! Remember what I said about the difference between real groups and "internet" groups.

Ha Ha! Remember what I said about the difference between real groups and "internet" groups.
Sure do bud, just shot single hole groups at 200 yrds with rounds loaded with the wrong lee dipper hahahaha. Thanks to everyone whos posted im just a newbie so all the help a can get is much appreciated and im taken it all on board, Cheers.
FS25

Muir i totally agree with you but i advised Fifestalker to get some scales as i did not want him to have a nasty experience. I also wish i had your's and Brithunters knowledge you are two of the wisest men that post on here what you say is correct and not an ego trip responce.

Kind regards Jimbo

Stick with the dippers Fifestalker, they are designed to keep you safe when you load a charge of powder they are calibrated for, there is no safer way of loading the charge. I have a lee beam scale I never use it apart from weighing my bullet cores for swaging (a total, anti Bench rest dark art, that would make Voldermort look like a baby),to be honest the core die is now set. Mate if you really want a set of scales then you can have them for free. But you already have the best system. The offer is there.

Ha Ha

I dont have any scales either.
Have no intention of getting any. Did buy some beam scales but sold them before using them!

The two calibres (.243 and .270) I started loading for about 2 years ago both got down to sub 1" groups in very similar circumstances to the OP.

I did it in 3 loads with no seating depth changes....

Then why do you ask on here for load data as you would not be able to reproduce without scales !!!!!!!!.

Jimbo :cuckoo:

Mate if you really want a set of scales then you can have them for free.

Well there you are - A usable set of scales to get you started. Like I said the Lee scales are accurate enough, just fidley to use, they can also be used to weigh the lighter bullets up to a hundred grains. (Depends how small you want to try and get those groups) The Lee hand press is a useful tool and even if you move on to a more substantial bench mounted press you want to hang on to it. The way I use my hand press when developing a load is this:
When I have a load that looks promising I load about 20 rounds as exactly as I can, cases carefully prepped, powder weighed to the nearest kernel, bullets selected and weighed and then seated out as far as possible (out to the lands if possible but you may be limited here if you need to feed from a mag or if you are shooting short light bullets)

Then shoot your group - from a really solid steady position on a still day. If you are satisfied that you have done your bit well then measure the group.
Now - this is where you hand press comes in. Take the next 5 rounds and seat them in an extra 25 thou. (that would be half a turn of the seating rod in a normal 20 threads per inch rod). Shoot the group and measure it again. Same routine, seat the next 5 50 thou in etc.

In an ideal world you should see your groups start wide, maybe and inch and a half, then shrink down to maybe 3/4 inch then start to open up again, then then the next batch you load up you can play around that sweet spot with some fine tuning. Like you have already heard from a couple of guys here - genuine, consistent sub-inch groups need real work.

Well there you are - A usable set of scales to get you started. Like I said the Lee scales are accurate enough, just fidley to use, they can also be used to weigh the lighter bullets up to a hundred grains. (Depends how small you want to try and get those groups) The Lee hand press is a useful tool and even if you move on to a more substantial bench mounted press you want to hang on to it. The way I use my hand press when developing a load is this:
When I have a load that looks promising I load about 20 rounds as exactly as I can, cases carefully prepped, powder weighed to the nearest kernel, bullets selected and weighed and then seated out as far as possible (out to the lands if possible but you may be limited here if you need to feed from a mag or if you are shooting short light bullets)

Then shoot your group - from a really solid steady position on a still day. If you are satisfied that you have done your bit well then measure the group.
Now - this is where you hand press comes in. Take the next 5 rounds and seat them in an extra 25 thou. (that would be half a turn of the seating rod in a normal 20 threads per inch rod). Shoot the group and measure it again. Same routine, seat the next 5 50 thou in etc.

In an ideal world you should see your groups start wide, maybe and inch and a half, then shrink down to maybe 3/4 inch then start to open up again, then then the next batch you load up you can play around that sweet spot with some fine tuning. Like you have already heard from a couple of guys here - genuine, consistent sub-inch groups need real work.

Wow!!

Fifestalker, carry on with what you have got mate. Seams spot on from what you say.

Back