Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rut still on

Rut still on

The rut i thought was over is apparently not , filmed a buck courting a doe this morning with another doe and fawn lower down the feild while i was watching them a doe walked under my seat !.
    Bumped another buck chasing a doe in the wood and found what looks like a well used roe ring with lots of scrapings, on the way home filmed another buck following a doe and seen more roe deer this morning than i have in a long time .
    I made the decision last week to leave them alone now as i have had a fair number off the ground, today would have been a red letter day no doubt DF

twenty pack of carlsberg

Yes, still on here as well.

Spent a couple of hours sitting up yesterday evening with a wonderful view down the Exe Valley on a new piece of ground.

Tried the Buttalo a few times, more in hope than expecting a result, with no result but plenty of red hinds and calves out and sunning themselves plus various other wildlife, so an enjoyable evening nonetheless.

Just packing up for a slow stalk back to the truck with about 30 minutes of shooting light left and, as I stood up, a doe burst through the hedge about 15m away with a buck firmly attached to that invisible scent line behind her. They ran around the field with him chasing for about 5 minutes - never stopping to present a shot, (although to be honest I don't think I would have taken it anyway) - before heading into the wood opposite.

Could it be the false rut - with the young deer getting excited?

"Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

To be honest they looked young bucks who were in persuit, there was a mature six pointer who was showing no interest . DF

Yep its the false rut then mate

Not in my case. He was a big mature 6 pointer and she wasn't that young by the look of it.

Yep different places/different times.
    The false rut will follow the "normal rut" but it doesn't last as long

well we saw unattended youngsters this morning and aa doe definatly "questing" out in the stubbles.
    then the fog rolled in and we sat for an hour and half with 50m visability.
    tried the call when it burnt off but no response.
    not suprised about the rut been still on as it never really started here in the first place.
    but it would make it 3 weeks late now.