Thinking about a new scope.

flash222004

I bought my first c/f rifle earlier in the year and am more than happy with the rifle a .222 tikka M590 deluxe, I managed to get out a couple times with it last week on the hill to see if there were any roe about and I am starting to think that I have probably well overscoped it for what I need. I bought a new simmons wtc 6.5 x 20 x 50 to put on it which to be honest has been getting me good groups etc when I was sighting it in at targets and the glass seems clear enough but I think I could do with something without the whistles and bells as I dont want to have to be messing with adjustable objectives etc and also I think it just looks to big and cumbersome for the rifle and would like to reduce the weight a bit too.

Im hoping as the simmons is pretty much is as new ill recoup some of my money but am looking to spend between £250 to £300 tops at the very most. Would happily go for something older and robust with quality that would stay on there for years to come. What should I be looking out for s/h for that kind of money and for using out in open wooded areas and some hill work im thinking I dont need anything with huge magnifications.

Many thanks, Gordon.

I bought my first c/f rifle earlier in the year and am more than happy with the rifle a .222 tikka M590 deluxe, I managed to get out a couple times with it last week on the hill to see if there were any roe about and I am starting to think that I have probably well overscoped it for what I need. I bought a new simmons wtc 6.5 x 20 x 50 to put on it which to be honest has been getting me good groups etc when I was sighting it in at targets and the glass seems clear enough but I think I could do with something without the whistles and bells as I dont want to have to be messing with adjustable objectives etc and also I think it just looks to big and cumbersome for the rifle and would like to reduce the weight a bit too.

Im hoping as the simmons is pretty much is as new ill recoup some of my money but am looking to spend between £250 to £300 tops at the very most. Would happily go for something older and robust with quality that would stay on there for years to come. What should I be looking out for s/h for that kind of money and for using out in open wooded areas and some hill work im thinking I dont need anything with huge magnifications.

Many thanks, Gordon.

You could get a s&b 8x56 that's what I'm looking at perfect for most stalking situations

vortex are ment to be good. been looking at one myself for my .222 but money tight just now so got to save the pennies to make the pounds. gregor in tain has a selections of them. lifetime guarantee, plus he gives a good deal and close to your neck of the woods.

Second hand Hungarian S&B seem to be about best value for money and you would probably get a 6X42 or an 8X56 for close to that money if you shop around. If you don't like a big scope then the 6X42 would seem ideal but maybe you want to consider if you might be taking shots at last light as that might make the 8X56 worthwhile for you.

Im thinking from what Im reading a 6x42 will probably suit my needs would be nice to if even if I buy an older model that its still under some sort of warranty or can still be repaired/serviced relatively cheaply down the line. NOTE* (Also may have to be durable enough to survive been thrown at me if my wife finds out how much I have spent on it!)

Im thinking from what Im reading a 6x42 will probably suit my needs would be nice to if even if I buy an older model that its still under some sort of warranty or can still be repaired/serviced relatively cheaply down the line. NOTE* (Also may have to be durable enough to survive been thrown at me if my wife finds out how much I have spent on it!)

*Been there my friend many times in fact all my rifles cost £250 and scopes cost £100 not :lol:

Think im going to hold out for a fair priced S&B or Zeiss 6x42. Looking back there has been such a lot of varied price prices to these scopes newer ones going for less than old ones etc which doesn't help when Im trying to figure a fair price id like to part with so both parties get a fair deal. Got under 3 months to do on tour now so I think ill hold out for the right thing and find something genuine I can look forward to using when I get back. Cheers for all the comments appreciated as always guys.

May I suggest you see if you could try another size make of scope before spending money out and ending up with a less than ideal one for your needs. There are several SD members in your neck of the woods I believe. Scots_stalker for one who's profile says Lanarkshire.

Something like a 6x42 or a variable like a 3-9x42 would I believe do everything your needing.

Leupold are great value for money and are great at first and last light. I have the vx 2 models in 3-9x50 on the .308 and 4-12x50 on 22/250. I think both scopes cost me £800 quid from Uttings. they also come with a lifetime warranty. cheers Hootsman

Back