Semi Auto Shotguns and Serial Numbers

countrryboy

Alright i apologise in advance for wot i think could be a stupid question

Do/should the serial numbers on a Semi Auto (2+1, not that it should make any difference) on both the action and barrels match. And if not do i also record the barrels number on my ticket.
I know on side by side (and i persume OU) that the serial numbers match on both action and barrells and usually a full/shortened version on fore end. I've only ever had side by sides till this one.

It's renewal time and i was jist checking the numbers on guns with the ticket and noticed the difference. The only reason i can think they might be different is as 1 action may fit several different barrel lengths at the factory, or has mine got a non original barrel?
Bought it second hand a few years ago off a very reputable gunshop so i dinae really think anything wrong :scared:

I'm hoping i dinae have a problem but if 1 of my firearms/shotguns serial numbers has been mis recorded wot is the proper way to deal with it, or jist put the correct number on the renewal form and see wot happens

Cheers in advance

Don't worry about it!
I've got 2 benelli shotguns (1 semi & 1 pump) where the frame serial numbers are different to the barrel serial numbers
Listed on my SGC with the frame serial numbers ;)

Daz

Don't worry about it!
I've got 2 benelli shotguns (1 semi & 1 pump) where the frame serial numbers are different to the barrel serial numbers
Listed on my SGC with the frame serial numbers ;)

Daz

My M2 is the same.

I'm hoping i dinae have a problem but if 1 of my firearms/shotguns serial numbers has been mis recorded wot is the proper way to deal with it, or jist put the correct number on the renewal form and see wot happens

Around 18 months after I bought a gun I had filled all the buy/sell slots on my SGC so I sent it back for a new one. When it came back I checked all the serial numbers on my shotguns - the .410 was nothing like. As I am a little anal about these things I keep copies of the notifications with the recorded delivery receipt attached. The form had been filled in by the RFD from their register with completely the wrong number. It was only the second gun I had bought at the time so I was very green and trusted that they would have filled in the form properly.

After the mild sick feeling subsided I toyed with ringing BASC for advice, but decided to confess to the Police. Rang the office and got a very helpful lady. I explained the situation and she got my file out. I told her the correct number over the phone and she requested I returned my SGC for correction. I had the new one back 2 days later. She thanked me for letting them know. I asked if I should notify the RFD and she said it might be a good idea so they could update their records.

All very simple, absolutely no hassle. May take a bit more explaining if had been found by FEO at renewal.

Likewise, 2 Benellis different serial Numbers. As has been said, use the one on the action. The makers keep a record of the various serial numbers on their shotguns.

I received my SGC renewal once and it hadn't even been signed by the chief of police!! :eek:
So i signed it and sent it back :D

Bet he wondered how i had signed it before him!!! :eek:

Daz

Cheers folks for the very prompt replies, i sort of thought/hoped that would be the case but it still gives u a bit off butterflies for a min. :D

I must admit i usually jist copy the numbers from the old ticket to the renwal form, but it's reading some off the horror stories on here that made me think i should double check everthing.

Cheers again folks

223 with wrong serial number found out at renewal. RFD had wrote wrong number down, had copy of old FAC (wrong number) and copy of my notification to them right number
now have both numbers
Simo

this might seem like a silly thing but always check your serials on the FAC/SGC especially if you want to leave the country with a gun. People have been left in a situation where a single character is wrong on their ticket and that's a bugger if you're at check in on the day!!

You go but the gun stays :doh:

As others have said only worry about the number on the action, even the gun shop only takes the number on the action when handling.

I handle quite a few for visiting sportsmen to the UK each year the guns are transfered from one RFD to another
as the shooting takes place in a different area of the country from where the guns are hired only the number on the action is recorded in the transaction, in fact had one last year the action was stamped Benelli and the barrel Beretta.

How do you stand with regards to proof, if the barrel and action have different serial numbers.

Potentially this means that when tested at the proof house it was a different barrel and action combination that was tested/passed.

Back