Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .260 Rem for fox & deer 6.5mm

.260 Rem for fox & deer 6.5mm

I am shortly looking to re-barrel my .243" and was considering this or perhaps a 6.5x47.
    My .243" is my deer/ fox rifle ie. i can use it at night for foxes unlike my other deer guns which i can only use for fox while deerstalking. I wish to retain this facility and was considering using bullets around 120grn for all uk deer and 95gn Vmax for fox. If i can get the cops to agree.

Has any of you lot got any 6.5mm calbre for similar?

Have you used 120's on red /sika ? whats it like for nock down /meat damage?

Whats the 95 Vmax like for fox?

The rifle will be throated for deer bullets as this will be 90% of it's work

Up to now, I have used mine with 100Gn Nosler BT, on foxes, Roe and Fallow, Meat Damage can be noticeable on Roe at close range , less than 50yds, Fallow no problem at all. Foxes, well.... as expected!

Dropped the Fox on the spot.

Fallow took 5 paces and dropped.

Cull Buck, Bang Flop, knocked off its feet , went nowhere.

However, i intend to have the tight throat opened out as i want to be able to use 120 Gn BT and get away from having to neck turn the brass.

The rifle is a Tikka 595 ( ex .243) with Shilen 26" Match barrel and obviously a McSwirly stock.

It works for me if thats any help in your deliberations!

Have inquired to mcMillan about getting a stock for my 595 which is 7-08 rem. Got one already on my Sako, looks good what is the blend ? is the 595 thier model 6? thats the only one i can find listed.

Wouldn't use 100grn bullet for deer otherwise i would stick with .243" Got a mate using 120 Hornady says it is awsome on Fallow and smaller but yet to try on RED / Sika.

Realy looking for that bit more wack and in a package that is lighter than my 7mm which only works 140's up. Sort of like a grown- up .243"

Nice grizzly picktures

The stock is a Sako Hunter inletted for the Tikka 595 action, and its a neat job, they started inletting for that action to order about 3 years ago, as far as I remember. The blend is 60%black 40% forest green .

The 100 grain bullets in .264 are a different beast altogether from the 100 's in .243 , thats MHO , but doubtless others will have different opinions. I agree wiith your thoughts, and if I had known then what I know now, I would have specified chambering and throat for the 120's. Ho Hum, we live and learn.

I also have a 7-08 which is used with heavier bullets, usually 140 for deer and 150 for pigs. Also a great short action calibre.

I am going the 6.5x55 route too, and see what that gives me as an all rounder. Another set of mysteries to solve I expect!

Good luck with yours, which ever 6.5 calibre you end up with.

But the 6.5 x 55 is a practical twin other than action size is it not?

How many legs has that fox?

Yep..... to all intents the same ballistics, but the 6.5x55 has better availability of standard brass and factory loads. The.260 is really a handloaders calibre in UK in my experience, and I now await incoming from those who disagree, but we all have different ideas and enthusiasms. I was also swayed by availability of a suitable action on a shelf or I might well have gone for a 6.5x47 !

The fox had previously lost the lower part of that hind leg, and wasn't too mobile, but obviously healed up and must have been earning a living somehow. he was resident close to the 'pens' , so he had to go !

thought 6.5x47 was .308" action and bolt compatable, anyone?

I have a 6.5X55 SE and use 129 gr Hornady Interlocks in it. I have never used it on anything other than Roe and Sika, both of which it has handled with no trouble at all. A Sika stag will not go far after getting hit with it and from my experience Sika hinds go nowhere at all. Roe also normally just fall over. I cannot imagine that it would do anything other than destroy a fox, providing you do not load them too hot. The Swede does not need to be driven at high speed to get the job done.

Nice looking rifle in the pics. I have been thinking about a custom stock for a bit, can I ask if you dont mind how much one of those little beauties set you back (going on a Sako 75 short action)? What is the delivery time, and do they add much weight to the combo?

Thanks, sorry for going off thread!