I am useless!!

Just been for a quick look about with a good friend from on this site and he was kind enough to put me onto a bloody big buck, nobody has even been offered a chance at this buck. There we were probably no more than 50 yards away, I get on the sticks and then proceed to suffer the biggest bout of buck fever known to man! The buck was shootable for a good 5 minutes and i had to decline the shot. Gutted as I'll probably not see another quite like it. But hey hi, there's always another day

To be fair I think if I'd had his blaser then it would've just fell over nicely without me doing a thing

Thanks pkl, next time it's cool, calm and collected............I hope. Big thanks to the rather nice gent who gave me the opportunity anyway. Cracking animal to see

Ziggy, it happens mate. I was put under pressure once to take a shot, hit a foreleg and it took a good few hours to find the deer. If I had my time again, I wouldn't have taken the shot. You made the right choice.

I have no regrets about not taking it, as you say it's better to leave it if not sure at the time. It's nice to see him up close as much as anything :)

You regret not taking the shot for a second. You regret wounding a fine buck for life. You are the bigger man of that there is no doubt! Well done Ziggy. You're not useless. You made a good sensible decision which resulted in nothing getting hurt.

It's good that you knew it was wrong and chose not to shoot!
Do some 'Dry practise' and work on your breathing technique.
Get a roe buck target and recreate the same scenario, including the stalk. Repeat it until it feels second nature.
The real thing will then seem more familiar.
'Train hard - fight easy'!;)
MS

On a smaller scale,i have a work collegue who has started to come shooting with me,i sold him an air rifle of mine and he is hooked.The problem is he has rabbit fever:rofl:He can shoot fine at a paper target at 30 meters but so far has missed 5 rabbits he has shot at.It's funny how the adrenalin kicks in and your scope is all over the place.:norty:
dave

Oh yes, I must admit I always get something, maybe a bit of excitement/anxiousness but last night was more intense than normal. I'm still smiling about it this morning though. Like I say it was still nice to see :)

Ziggy mate that what you did there is nothing to be ashamed of,you showed total respect for the deer and your host ( Pete ).i am lucky I have not experienced the yips with a rifle in hand but I have noticed that I get them when I am stood next to someone who I have just guided into a deer.;) Probably worried that they don't get them but you can usually tell.
Your time will come like others have said go out and practice cause the more We practice the luckier we get!!
To many people just pull the trigger and hope for the best when this happens just to put a trophy on the wall .its not worth it, the next time you are in this position just relax steady your breathing and wait for the moment .
enjoy your trip down here in sunny Somerset atb J

Bandit funny enough we watched the dvd you lent me of the Dream roe buck with Eric pederson taking his 220 cic buck
at the time the top ten in the world .
that guy has shot all over the world but still got the shakes with that monster stood in front of him .
I have been ripping the **** out of the poor lad unlike me i know :D
as people have stated just glad he declined the shot and im off to devon to see my son for the weekend and not out
looking for a badly wounded deer .
ziggy was greeted this morning when he came in for a cup of tea with that elvis songs just been on the radio mate ALL SHOOK UP :D

regards pete .

Hahahahaha and I had to make my own cuppa. Like I say buddy, I appreciated the opportunity :)

Back