First Sika Stag Whistle Of The Year

jamross65

I was out tonight for a look with a mate. between us we heard 6 different sets of whistles from Sika stags but probably in fact made by 3 or 4 different beasts. I have never heard Sika stags whistle in August before. neither has another mate who has been stalking them for over 30 years.

The weather has cooled a bit but still far from cold. I also found ground ripped up tonight by a stag. So, early start to the rut...

from what your saying it wont be far away as you do know what your talking about Dean

Cool... I hate wishing away summer but I walked outside this morning and it just smelled autumnal. Hoping for lots of whistling in 3/4 weeks time! :D

Alex,
What tune do you want, Pirates of Penzance, Yeoman of the guard, I can do them all ? :D
Or are you going to stick your head out the window like last year ?
See you Tuesday, bring plenty of ammo.

Alex,
What tune do you want, Pirates of Penzance, Yeoman of the guard, I can do them all ? :D
Or are you going to stick your head out the window like last year ?
See you Tuesday, bring plenty of ammo.

LOL! :D

Thanks Robin, can you whistle Dixie? ;)

Won't see you Tues I'm on the detail for the 3rd!

Alex

I heard my first sika of the year up my way whistling last monday night across the loch on Novar estate. This time last year they were responding/coming into the sceree call which i found pretty early for the north.

ATB wallace

I heard my first sika of the year up my way whistling last monday night across the loch on Novar estate. This time last year they were responding/coming into the sceree call which i found pretty early for the north.

ATB wallace

Jayb mentioned last weekend that someone he knew up north had heard one already as well. Maybe your climate up there brings it on a wee bit earlier than us lowlanders are used to!

Yes that was me that told John. You might be right jamross about them starting earlier with us but the ones i saw were still in full summer coat and not like the one you shot which was jet black already plus we had really hot weather for my whole 2 weeks off. Home next week so i'll see how i get on with the call. Worked well last year

ATB wallace.

Yes that was me that told John. You might be right jamross about them starting earlier with us but the ones i saw were still in full summer coat and not like the one you shot which was jet black already plus we had really hot weather for my whole 2 weeks off. Home next week so i'll see how i get on with the call. Worked well last year

ATB wallace.

How things differ across the country even when chasing the same species!

I never called in one stag last year using the Sceery. First season that has ever happened to me. In the past I have had them charging at me, running away and stopping to the call, even got enough interest from stags in December with the call to get them sticking their heads out for a look (and in turn a shot!). Si I assume it's not my technique! Closest I came last year was a huge stag with a good group of hinds, who was walking off with them as the hinds were a bit spooked. I blew the call and he stopped and looked back for a second or two, but that was it. Last year was a very strange rut in our area, and I heard that from a few guys I know roundabout me as well.

I saw about 60 beasts last night and at least half were out of summer coats.

Temp yeaterday stayed about 14deg and [robably dropped to about 12deg in the evening. My mate was on his ground yesterday that sits about 1000ft and he said that it was a cold day, fleece/jacket weather!

Last edited:
Things do seem to be changing don't they. My brain says it should be summer but all other senses are saying different. One of my red stags has been roaring for 2 weeks now; haven't seen any "action" but I seldom do. Plenty of grass about but just started feeding silage this morning to make sure they are on a rising plane of nutrition to optimise conception rates. Getting harder to make any money with all input costs rising rapidly so have to spend less somehow.

Jamross im no expert but have been getting good results with the sceery. About 3 years ago in the rut i drove past a ride in the plantation at first light, spotted a big jap stag around 100m of the road. Continued on driving for another 400m. Stalked back for him but he was not there. Got set up and gave a blast on the call, out he came like a raging bull but did not present a shot. He moved back into the trees, i gave another blast, nothing, waited ten minutes, nothing, stood up to walk away when i saw him poking his head out of the trees looking at me, alarm call and off he went. Got into a better position for a shot so after another 10mins i gave another call (not expecting anything) an out he came again thrashing the heather. A whistle got his attention and a neck shot poleaxed him, my heaviest too, an old stag, 112lbs dressed. I dont give up to easily with the call after that.

ATB wallace

Wallace

I bought my call from Gregor a long time ago. In fact when I was in the shop he had just got a batch in having been testing them for a wee while. He told me how good they were and the success they have with them up there. I have never looked back...

The only thing I find with them is that small stuff seems to run away. I suppose if they don't have the confidence to challenge a dominant beast that is a normal reaction. It certainly gets the heart pounding when you hear them stomping through trees to get to you! I was laying in a ride one evening trying to call them out and one popped it's head out from under the browse line to my left side. It was 15'-20' away! Just stood there staring at me lying on the ground with the rifle pointing the wrong direction. I thought I was going to get scewered. :rofl:

Somehow I managed to slowly turn the rifle round and look down along the side of the barrel as too close to see it through the scope, before shooting it between the eyes!!! That was pretty exciting...

Gutted not to be able to try again in the borders, having to settle for little deer this year as no trip north for stags, maybe next year for a return Brian. Damn Army life getting in the way of important things!

Gutted not to be able to try again in the borders, having to settle for little deer this year as no trip north for stags, maybe next year for a return Brian. Damn Army life getting in the way of important things!

Shooting the bigger stuff is fine...... until you have to extract them!!! The wee ones are sooo much easier!!!

Fingers crossed you manage to get away for a couple of days up here next year.

Brian,

I am told the thing to do is try to make the "whistle" sound weak and puny as this brings out the big boys a bit lively to see off the cheeky wee things that are trying
it on. As opposed to a loud aggressive "big sounding" whistle which just puts most of the average and small stags off, I'm going to try it this year
and see how it goes
Wallace

I bought my call from Gregor a long time ago. In fact when I was in the shop he had just got a batch in having been testing them for a wee while. He told me how good they were and the success they have with them up there. I have never looked back...

The only thing I find with them is that small stuff seems to run away. I suppose if they don't have the confidence to challenge a dominant beast that is a normal reaction. It certainly gets the heart pounding when you hear them stomping through trees to get to you! I was laying in a ride one evening trying to call them out and one popped it's head out from under the browse line to my left side. It was 15'-20' away! Just stood there staring at me lying on the ground with the rifle pointing the wrong direction. I thought I was going to get scewered. :rofl:

Somehow I managed to slowly turn the rifle round and look down along the side of the barrel as too close to see it through the scope, before shooting it between the eyes!!! That was pretty exciting...

Brian,

I am told the thing to do is try to make the "whistle" sound weak and puny as this brings out the big boys a bit lively to see off the cheeky wee things that are trying
it on. As opposed to a loud aggressive "big sounding" whistle which just puts most of the average and small stags off, I'm going to try it this year
and see how it goes

That makes sense John. Mind, last years rut was not really one to probably go by... :rolleyes:

Brian,

and see how it goes

Sounds like a good idea to me john ;) Have you had it from a good guide ?

Not that senior i hope :lol: wont be long now until you get visitors :cool:
Nice to know they are thinking about it, what a fantastic sound it is.

Jamross,

I'm seeing large scrapes now, most still in summer coats, no calling yet for me, but some wallow activity.

They are taking up rutting stand areas in one of my woods.. Have shot 3 so far.

Tried the call a couple of times but no joy as yet, I only pulled one spiker out with it last season, most certainly does work though and I use the same one as Wallace but I only give it one long whistle where Wallace goes with two.

Was up in one of JayB's forests last week and saw a lot of hinds all in great condition but no stags in the area yet and no spikers hanging with or near them yet either.

I'm targeting the sika specifically now though so we will see.

Back