What flight case

Depends on the size of the gun, but Peli cases are hard to beat, and have a lifetime warranty!

Size to suit browning x bolt But also looking to purchase a new 308 so don't really want to be restricted on length

Would probably need the 1750 model and that it a bit huge!

I have a couple of the 1700 ones and they are amazing!

Just been looking online they look ideal, any recommendations for a good supplier, also how do I go about getting the foam cut for different rifles and scopes ect.

Your other alternative is to go to a local flight case maker and get one custom made to meet your requirements. I have one for my Blaser that a friend did for me and it works really well. It looks like nothing fancy, which was part of the plan, but was carefully designed so the case plus rifle, scope, bipod, sling etc. all comes into the weight that Easyjet allow for firearms before they start charging extra. If anyone asks what's in it I tell them it's my bagpipes, so far everyone who has asked has believed that.

...........also how do I go about getting the foam cut for different rifles and scopes ect.

Hot wire cutter, using templates from drawing around your guns, my Sauer:

Sauercase.jpg

Full size Peli's are great and give good protection. However, they are very heavy and I would be concerned you would go over weight limits once you put a rifle in there.

There is another problem - take your rifle abroad in a big case - what happens when you go to try and fit the brute into a hire car? Been there, bought the tee-shirt. If you are seriously intent on travelling much with a rifle, think about a takedown of some make or other...

Full size Peli's are great and give good protection. However, they are very heavy and I would be concerned you would go over weight limits once you put a rifle in there.

There is another problem - take your rifle abroad in a big case - what happens when you go to try and fit the brute into a hire car? Been there, bought the tee-shirt. If you are seriously intent on travelling much with a rifle, think about a takedown of some make or other...

That would be my main concern. Biggest one I had was a 1720, but the ones I have now are 1700's, they are very manageable, and ideal on a Sauer 202 or a Blaser attaché. Fits easily in the boot of most cars.

I've got a Peli 1750 and fully loaded (including my demountable quad sticks) it weighs just under 16Kgs.
I purchased it new and it's been with me to Africa 4 times. It's available with new Peli foam inserts for £200 plus carraige or I'm happy to cut it to suit your equipment if you would like to collect. I live in South Lincolnshire not far from the A1.
Regards
BobView attachment 18747

Another vote for Peli.

DSC_0855.jpg

I've put a thread on here about cutting the foam (http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....i-Case-Fitting-the-foam?highlight=peli+blaser).

If you ever get down this way you're more than welcome to borrow the cutter.

willie_gunn

Which "Peli" case is that... please? ... Or, more precisely, roughly what are the internal dimensions of the case you show here? ... Thanks.

I reckon I could even split a Sako's barreled action from its stock and still squeeze them in. Yes/No?

I am surprised at the lack of shooters that do not use the shorter case and take their 'full size' rifle down to fit, most are only held together with two screws.
The important thing of course, if you do that, is that the screws are screwed up to the same torque when re-assembling.
I no longer have any need to do that (Blaser owner!) but when I did, I used a Borka adjustable torque driver which I got from Brownells to re-assemble the rifle.
The tool is now used to torque up 'scope rings, bases and barrels when changing stocks.

I've noticed on various photos that there is also a cut out on the foam for the bolt, correct me if I'm wrong but I was advised never to carry the rifle and bolt together

I've noticed on various photos that there is also a cut out on the foam for the bolt, correct me if I'm wrong but I was advised never to carry the rifle and bolt together

Sav

That's good advice, but it's just advice, not necessarily the law. When traveling you are required to take all reasonable precautions, so if I'm traveling in the car I will normally carry the bolt separately in a holster - and definitely if I have to leave the rifle in the car for any reason whilst I go in to a shop, etc.

But when flying the bolt forms part of the rifle and must be kept secured in hold baggage, so that's when you would want to secure it in the case. Don't try taking the bolt onto the plane, at least not if you want to be on it when it takes off!

willie_gunn

Willie _gunn

What is the law when it comes to ammunition on a plane, both domestic and international where can it be stored and how much are you allowed to take with you.

Regards

Sav

Peli storm cases are nicer, lighter, stronger and more durable than the original pelis.. The im3100 is fantastic for a take down, I have one for my blaser. I also have an im3300 for my sako TRG.

Back