Walnut Stocks

Tikka 260

I am thinking of another rifle build project and have started putting ideas together, so I am asking you all if you have experience with/of a UK rifle stock maker capable of working in walnut in a traditional style?

It is early days and I don't want another McMillan/Manners/GRP stocked rifle.

All relevant input welcome.

Thanks

I saw Alan Wey fitting a bedding block into a beautiful walnut stock to make it as accurate as any other form of stock. Looked to be doing a very tidy job... but for christs sake don't hold your breath while he does it

Thanks everyone, it all goes into the mixing bowl........ I appreciate the input.

I agree, its going to make McMillan seem like a bargain !

I had excellent work done by Don Robinson in Huddersfield a few months ago and reasonable price - 01484 421362. Cheers, K

I am thinking of another rifle build project and have started putting ideas together, so I am asking you all if you have experience with/of a UK rifle stock maker capable of working in walnut in a traditional style?

It is early days and I don't want another McMillan/Manners/GRP stocked rifle.

All relevant input welcome.

Thanks
steven b on hear manufactures walnut stocks look for the post help lads two down from this one has manufactured hundreds of stalks for air rifles may be your man

Tikka 260

Whoever you choose to make the stock, do make sure up front that they know what size & fit will suit you.
Get fitted properly, agree & record the measurements up front so there is no argument later.
I know of one bespoke stalking rifle made for a lady by a "top name" English rifle smith - it has a beautiful wallnut stock supposedly fitted to her that is simply too small for her! She can't shoot it.
It can't be lengthened to fit her because the cheek piece rear edge would smack her in the cheek bone! The rifle cost her over £6k & this rifle maker can't / won't help her by putting right his cock up & replacing the stock.
It's a great shame that the lady was treated so badly by someone who should know better and charges top dollar for so called bespoke work.
I won't name him so please don't ask. Just beware that all top names don't really deserve their status. Caveat emptor!!

Ian

Thanks again for the input, and for the 'heads up' on stock measurement recording, I hadn't thought about that aspect of a wood stock, too used to ordering a standard dimensioned McSwirly I guess. 'Caveat Emptor' in rifle customising was something I learnt a while ago, the hard way, and thanks for the timely reminder!

Peter

Back