Thread: duck oil

duck oil

Has anybody used Swarfega Duck Oil on their guns, ive seen it and it seems good value and is available in decent quantities rather than silly little " 4oz " bottles I have been buying. Im looking for an allround gun oil, anyone any suggestions.

Anyones two pence would appreciated. Thanks.

You can get it in 5l drums, can get you a price if you need?

Ive seen that 5 litres for roughly 24 just dont know if its safe on bluing ect, you hear horror stories of some oils.

have you used it redlab?

As long as its mineral oil with a viscosity around ISO 68 or thicker if needed then it shouldn't have any detrimental effect on bluing, maybe steer clear of hydraulic oils as the zinc may cause a problem. I use a general r&o oil in 68cst with no issues.

Yes, I have been using duck oil on shotguns and rifles for many years now, with no ill effects on blueing. It seems to protect metal well against damp etc.

I think ill give it a go then, thanks for all the input then lads.

regards IY

We used duck oil when I was in the garage, trade probably the best penetrating oil there is unless they have changed the formula in the last 15 years.

Seriously how much oil do you get through? I find the little bottles last ages (year+). You only need s few drops.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I wouldnt say I over use oil, for example I use two little bottles a year, for the price of those I might aswell buy a bigger quantity and if it does the same job and lasts five years im quids in, plus it can be used in other applications.