Paralympic games

ezzy6.5

Is anyone else watching the games. I am riveted to the England V Germany basketball. This is the first time for a very long time I have sat watching a sporting event on the telly. Team GB are doing us proud, I just hope we can do the biz in extra time:D
Fingers crossed

Ezzy

Ezzy

With you there mate.

My mate is shooting on Saturday morning in the SH2 10m prone. Been trying to get tickets but will have to watch on the box.

He used to work with me but is now full time. Work still sponser him which does help.

Keep an eye out guys.

His name is James Bevis.

Another local has won a silver in the swimming this afternoon. She and her husband train in our local swimming pool. They do a lot locally to promote disabled sports especilly in the counties schools.

Jonathon

We are off down to the paralympics tomorrow, watching the dressage saturday and monday. cheering long time family friend on Lee Pearson on. Very proud of him and all of team GB.

hi Johnathon,
that must be jim, he is in with a good chance, usually medals, as long as they do better than at the worlds in croatia

steve

Is anyone else watching the games. I am riveted to the England V Germany basketball. This is the first time for a very long time I have sat watching a sporting event on the telly. Team GB are doing us proud, I just hope we can do the biz in extra time:D
Fingers crossed

Ezzy

I watched this too, absolutely loved it! The guys are mental though, hurling themselves around in those chairs. It makes for very entertaining sport, much more interesting to watch than the highly paid "superstars" that won the Gold a few weeks back.

Jon, will keep an eye out for James. I'm sure all on here would wish him luck in the games, so if you get to speak to him before hand, please pass on our regards and wish him the best of luck!

Great start to the Paralympics, keep it up Team GB!

Jim

I actually saw a bit of the games yesterday morning, swimming and cycling, saw Hannah wreck the opposition in the 400m free style heats and Jonathon Fox break the WR in his heat. Sarah on her bicycle leave the opposition for dead with yet another WR and htey left her out of the normal team ......................................... Abosolute political correctness gone mad.

I must admit to find the classifications confusing. Hanah looks perfectly normal for a 16 years os, well normal except I saw no tats of piercing evident :D that teens seem to all have nowadays. They explained that she is visually impaired a polite way of saying blind which explains why when they spoke toher he eyes never moved around. I cannot imaging diving and managing to swim in such a straight line like she does let alone in that time.

They make us unimpaired people look foolish and I at least feel humbled by their dedication and skill.

+1,
i worked for 3 years teaching mentally handicapped adults in my mid twenties and did get a lot of eye openers to rearrange my preconceptions.
Can the shooting be watched on telly or only via the net? The BBC will not allow me onto their site to watch anything from my overseas location.
Martin

I've been watching some of it, and to be honest I will stop going on about my 'bad' knees & back, they may ache and hurt but they aren't as bad as they could be. I feel like I've been a right whinging git for too many years after watching what the paralympians are doing :(

The wheelchair basketball is far better to watch than the normal basketball - it's the first time I have been remotely interest in the game since seeing the Halem Globe Trotters as a kid on TV playing some UK celebrity team (must have been in the 70s).

I've been watching it on the iPad (don't have a TV) and have to say that I've been absolutely astounded. I know that some people object to using terms like "brave", etc. but I find it hard to sum up my admiration using any other word. The competitiveness and professionalism is world-class.

BTW, did anyone see the article in the Daily Telegraph yesterday about Matt Stutzman, the archer? The article mentions that he took up archery so that he could hunt. If not, here's the link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...e-feat-sees-him-on-target-for-gold-medal.html A great article about a great sportsman.

willie_gunn

james has got into the final along with another GB squad member. Not a mention on the television yet.

Had to use facebook to find out!!!!!!!

BRONZE.

Well done James Bevis.

No mention on the telly or online. Found out on facebook.

C4 have Tweeted that we have won a bronze in the athletics after James has won his medal.

Typical they will show pykies running down a CWD and waving a rifle about but won't show 10m air rifle shooting. Disgrace.

BUT

WELL DONE JAMES:british::british::british::british:

jim done well to get bronze it becomes abit of a lottery when they all get 600
matt got a silver
cant see them getting the elusive gold they need for funding, maybe a lower medal in the 10m standing, but not a stong discipline for them and 50m will belong to Jonas

steve

The use of bows can be contentious on here but did you see the archery?

It was won by Mat Stuzman with a perfect score in the final round.

Watch THIS

it is amazing

The use of bows can be contentious on here but did you see the archery?

It was won by Mat Stuzman with a perfect score in the final round.

Not according to today's Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...es-silver-after-final-with-Jere-Forsberg.html). Not that it in any way diminishes his achievement, but he took Silver, with the Gold going to the Finn, Jere Forsberg.

See also my earlier post above where, in his interview in the Daily Telegraph, he said that he took up archery so that he could go hunting with the rest of his family.:thumb:

willie_gunn

Back