could this be

User00003

338-06...could this be the ultimate calibre for red stags, boar, elk, moose, and non-DG plains hunting in one rifle? I'm thinking that it should be allowed into France, and be big enough for Kudu and Eland where perhaps the standard 30-06 might not be?

wonder if you can load sub 200g pills?..

thoughts?

Too many numbers in the cartridge designation - it would totally confuse the FEOs who already can't get their heads around .357. ;)

Why bother? It's not like the world is short of cartridges and there aren't many gaps that weren't already filled by 1960, or even by 1930.

I keep hearing that France is dropping the military thing and quite honestly I can't imagine who in this country is going to let the French pick a rifle or cartridge for them anyhow so it doesn't seem such a big deal other than that they were only too willing to welcome us with military cartridges both times they let the Germans invade.

You can make up nearly any random combination of numbers and tout it as the next big thing but history seems to indicate that there weren't a whole load of "next big things" in the cartridge world and we just about ran out of scope for them a long time ago.

+ 1 on this >
Too many numbers in the cartridge designation - it would totally confuse the FEOs who already can't get their heads around .357. ;)

not a fan of large calibres now, i have a 308 and i can't see me going any bigger ...........ever. then again im not shooting as much as i used too,

If you have a good reason for it then good luck to you and happy shooting,

bob.

To be fair, I always thought the 338/06 makes a lot of sense. No real need for it here in UK or Ireland, but it would make a great pig round. Given the 9.3x62 has existed for about 100 years, I doubt it will get off the ground.

Hi

The 0.375H&H seems to do it all including the 'dangerous game' albeit at the minimum level.

Lots of experienced people (John 'Podoro' Taylor, Tony Henley etc al) who have done more than most of us will put together speak highly of it.

I'm not saying there isn't room for 'evidence based' demonstrable benefits over the existing availability but only time can tell......

L

Last edited:
My post yesterday on the 6.5-06 thread said that the next build will be 6.5-06 the one I am in the middle of is a 338-06 so stand by your beds I will let you know how I get on I am just waiting for the action to arrive.
The barrel came from the States the stock from Scotland and the loading dies from Oxfordshire hopefully the action from Yorkshire.
160grn @ 3100
180grn @ 3000
200grn @ 2850

Last edited:
338-06...could this be the ultimate calibre for red stags, boar, elk, moose, and non-DG plains hunting in one rifle? I'm thinking that it should be allowed into France, and be big enough for Kudu and Eland where perhaps the standard 30-06 might not be?

wonder if you can load sub 200g pills?..

thoughts?

PKL I used to pick up on Game shoots with a Lad that had been a cropper in Africa he shot every animal Elephant, Hippo, Ku Du you name it he shot it. All with 30-06. The 30-06 is upto the job no problem.

Jimbo

338/06 and 35 Whelen do everything the 338 win may does out to 150 yds but without the bang, recoil and fuss. Popular in the US amongst elk/moose/bear when you don't need the range of the 338 mag. Fills the same space as the 9.3x62 or the 318 Westley Richards, sending a 220 / 250 g bullet with good size frontal area at reasonable velocity into big animals. But the 220g 30-06 does pretty much the same.

I understand the military calibre thing has now been dropped in France....I believe it was overturned last month - oops! - July.
Not before time really, although it never affected me personally. ATB

In looking for another caliber I studied the 338-06 a lot and in my oppinion it makes sense
30-06 220grn 2500fps
338-06 220grn 2700fps
338 win mag 2790fps
Its just when you get to 250grn the 338-06 lags behind
The Americans recon that the 338-06 is good for Elk up to 300 yds

Last edited:
The .33 bore was once quite poplular even here in the UK. BSA even brought one out at the wrong time of course right at the start of the great depression so it never took hold in the market. Funny thing is that the .338 Winchester is so similar it's possible to chamber the Winchester cartridge in the BSA .33 Hi velocity I have read.

The .338-06 has as already pointed out a good reputation in the US.

I have now purchased all the parts to build my 338-06.
Weatherby MK V from Swillington £475
Stock from Griff £60
Barrel from Ebay.com £117
Just need it all putting together now but going to be off work for 3 months so the rifle will have to wait for a while.

One nice thing about the 338-06 VS the Whelen or a belted magnum, in that the headspacing is much more positive. I built a few and they shot well. Lighter bullets kill deer well and the heavy bullets can be matched to bigger game. Do yourself a favor: Buy however many cases you want for this rifle from the same LOT. It will help in fire-forming and loading consistency later on. Were it me, as soon as I could assemble some ammo, I'd send off a couple of dummy rounds to Lee and have a Factory Crimp Die made. (But that's just me) ~Muir

There is a small but faithful following here for the 338-06, from what I've seen it seems to be a really good large game round.One of the members of my club uses one. Its a weatherby, I cant recall which model it is , but its an extremely accurate rig.He's a big fan of the 210 gr partition and has taken a few elk and moose with them.

According to him , its the thinking mans 338 win mag, big bullet, less recoil etc.I use a 350 rem mag, I doubt the moose will notice the difference between them.

The 338 Federal is gaining in popularity here.My hunting partner bought one built on a Remington 7600 pump(jerkamatic) Not my thing but its accurate and a potent little rifle.I'm surprised its not more popular than it is, but that seems to be the norm for any over 30 cal cartridge.

Good luck with your build, Alberta Boy

+ 1 on this >

not a fan of large calibres now, i have a 308 and i can't see me going any bigger ...........ever. then again im not shooting as much as i used too,

If you have a good reason for it then good luck to you and happy shooting,

bob.

I am with you on this ,I think?!?!?!?............I am new to stalking,I have a .308(150 grn bullets) and have killed Roe,Boar,Fox and earlier this a week a nice big Red Stag at 200 yds.....it seems ample or am I missing something????:rolleyes::confused::-|

I am with you on this ,I think?!?!?!?............I am new to stalking,I have a .308(150 grn bullets) and have killed Roe,Boar,Fox and earlier this a week a nice big Red Stag at 200 yds.....it seems ample or am I missing something????:rolleyes::confused::-|

.308 with 150g is plenty, you're right. I was just thinking of an alrounder for stags, boar, elk, plains game up to but not including DG. that you could also take into France, etc. it could still be loaded with 180g, but can be loaded all the way up to 250g too.

Back