Front on chest shots

As previously mentioned, Why is the "Deer clock" shot placement chart showing chest area as an option?,Further, Why is the chest area depicted in the D.S.C. portfolio's?,.................. Thanks, in anticipation.:cool:

As previously mentioned, Why is the "Deer clock" shot placement chart showing chest area as an option?,Further, Why is the chest area depicted in the D.S.C. portfolio's?,.................. Thanks, in anticipation.:cool:

I think it may be because the front on chest shot is recognised as a feasible option, in certain circumstances if done correctly i.e. providing the issues surrounding and application of the shot are understood.

And... I did note you mentioning your point here earlier and perhaps like you I also noted no reply to your valid question. Just so's you know at least some of us are paying attention :cool:

ps. You being a shooting range person and all, ... the lead versus copper debate on another thread... monometal copper bullets and increased ricochet risk... any thoughts on or experience of this?

I think it may be because the front on chest shot is recognised as a feasible option, in certain circumstances if done correctly i.e. providing the issues surrounding and application of the shot are understood.

And... I did note you mentioning your point here earlier and perhaps like you I also noted no reply to your valid question. Just so's you know at least some of us are paying attention :cool:

ps. You being a shooting range person and all, ... the lead versus copper debate on another thread... monometal copper bullets and increased ricochet risk... any thoughts on or experience of this?
I seem to remember being told that an expended mono round, had been found outside the normal areas provided for such items, causing some discussions at elevated levels, & the forestry people may have some concerns for such rounds within their industry, not having personal experience of mono's myself, I have zero capacity to comment further,I may try some in the future though. Steve.

Having read through most of the posts on here it would seem to be a big difference of opinion on this matter.

From my point of view a full on frontal shot is not something I would ask of most clients to take. However for a seasoned pro who has a job to do a full on frontal shot only has two killing points, neck or head, but only if you are competant enough to hit the mark and it is not a ridiculous range. Therefore as a rule of thumb I can understand why many would not take the shot.

I have seen a few full on body shots over the years and most tend to make a hell of a mess inside the carcase, and will burst the guts. If this occurs the carcase is not fit to put in the general food chain, but may of course be consumed by yourself. I note the pictures of the Muntjac carcase and although it has not destroyed the haunches etc, it has without doubt made a bit of a mess of the sternum area. Granted there is not a lot of scope on a Munty, and whatever calibre you use most of the front end, unless head or neck shot is usually, but not always binned.

Such shots are down to the individual to access and take, so lets not pull anyone down for taking the shot, dead is dead there aint no inbetweens.

ATB

Sikamalc

Biggest load of cobblers I hav ever read

From that remark we can only concluded that you have never read any of your post. All 4600 odd of them.
Obviously the old but true maxim of better the quality than the quantity has passed you by all of these years.
I suggest that we just call it a closed topic from now on. Atb TG

Gentlemen these sort of remarks do not do the site any good. Whilst I have no issue with people expressing an opinion, please try and remember that some of us are professional stalkers with a job to do, and others are recreational. The main thing with any shot is safety over and above anything else. Then the welfare of the deer we are about to take. Sometimes you have to make decisions quickly, and as long as the two rules are observed and the deer does not suffer sometimes it is a shot to take. BUT not one I would recommend if you want a good carcase at the end of the day.

Obviously a difference of opinion here but your preferred method of shooting deer is not for me. atb Tim

Having read through most of the posts on here it would seem to be a big difference of opinion on this matter.

From my point of view a full on frontal shot is not something I would ask of most clients to take. However for a seasoned pro who has a job to do a full on frontal shot only has two killing points, neck or head, but only if you are competant enough to hit the mark and it is not a ridiculous range. Therefore as a rule of thumb I can understand why many would not take the shot.

I have seen a few full on body shots over the years and most tend to make a hell of a mess inside the carcase, and will burst the guts. If this occurs the carcase is not fit to put in the general food chain, but may of course be consumed by yourself. I note the pictures of the Muntjac carcase and although it has not destroyed the haunches etc, it has without doubt made a bit of a mess of the sternum area. Granted there is not a lot of scope on a Munty, and whatever calibre you use most of the front end, unless head or neck shot is usually, but not always binned.

Such shots are down to the individual to access and take, so lets not pull anyone down for taking the shot, dead is dead there aint no inbetweens.

ATB

Sikamalc

Malc

I personally am not putting anyone down for taking the shot. Early in this thread I have agreed with at least two of the points made regarding the effective knock down capacity of such shots. I and others are simply making the point that the high risk of busting the rumen and contaminating the carcase to a point where it is considered unsuitable to enter the human food chain, a fact that some seem overly eager to ignore, makes the shot just about the least desirable on the books.

Each to his own. But I believe that it is only reasonable that comment such as "I don't see why people worry about busting the rumen" are countered with the appropriate explanation as to why. If only for the novice and yet to be stalkers who place great store by what they read on forums such as Stalking Directory.

I am a recreational stalker but co-Shepard 800 breeding ewes . I wouldn't take a front on shot unless the beast was unwell and I didn't want to eat the carcass . That said I shoot loads of foxes and wouldn't hesitate to Wang one in a fox's chest . There's no doubt that tapping one into the neck or head , all be it a different angle than the norm is lethal . And when people are culling Ill or injured animals id imagine it's pretty usefull technique and not down to people like myself who only shoot 20 - 30 a year to advise .

Gentlemen these sort of remarks do not do the site any good. Whilst I have no issue with people expressing an opinion, please try and remember that some of us are professional stalkers with a job to do, and others are recreational. The main thing with any shot is safety over and above anything else. Then the welfare of the deer we are about to take. Sometimes you have to make decisions quickly, and as long as the two rules are observed and the deer does not suffer sometimes it is a shot to take. BUT not one I would recommend if you want a good carcase at the end of the day.

Malc

I agree professional and recreational stalkers very often shoot deer for very different reasons. For the professional shooting several hundred deer a year. the turning of a given number of carcases into pet food is some times/often, given the circumstances, a secondary consideration to getting the job done.

Been there done that, even had the T shirt. That went in the workshop rag pile many years ago, all I have left of those days is the bad knee:old:.

Malc

I agree professional and recreational stalkers very often shoot deer for very different reasons. For the professional shooting several hundred deer a year. the turning of a given number of carcases into pet food is some times/often, given the circumstances, a secondary consideration to getting the job done.

Been there done that, even had the T shirt. That went in the workshop rag pile many years ago, all I have left of those days is the bad knee:old:.

Agree, but as I said its not a shot I reccomend if you want a decent carcase as the end result, and I would not encourage anyone to take such a shot on my leases unless it was a head or neck and I was confident they could take the shot with the result of a dead deer at the end, and there are only a few who I would trust to take this shot.

Artharitis in both my knees, through dragging to many deer over the years :old: and recently been told by the doc that I now have it in my right shoulder :rolleyes:. Never mind it goes with age after you are over 50, but keep going thats my motto, and the help of Mr Honda does help;)

I even got told by one client last year that i walk to quick :eek::lol:

From that remark we can only concluded that you have never read any of your post. All 4600 odd of them.
Obviously the old but true maxim of better the quality than the quantity has passed you by all of these years.
I suggest that we just call it a closed topic from now on. Atb TG

Again another fair comment TG
as I am sure 4600 post are not going to be all imformative
but to call for closed topic
not really a fair comment
you raised an important issue and so has Malc
but no one has picked up on it
i shall take the liberty
yes my pics show mass destruction
but in whole no loss of meat part from a bit of brisket (already pointed out),but then on a muntjac how much is that
a game dealer would still buy it at a probable knocked down price
but would still have all the best money making bits undamaged, just cheaper
it is a muntjac buck
if I had sold this as a cull beast ... £100 maybe
as it is probably in medal class , take a guess at the price I could of sold it for
but not to shoot it because of the potential meat damage
what is the cost of a good munty at the game dealers anyway??
i cull deer recreationally and process all my own venison for my freezer as a norm
cheaper than beef or lamb
so I know how much meat is on a muntjac
Wot i find it is Very interesting to see how meat damage has started to rule on almost everything
keep the comments coming

Back