Front on chest shots

mickjgardner

Just wondered on other thoughts or experiences on front on chest shots.On the few occasions i have bee presented with a deer front on i have always gone for a neck shot as i worry that a front on chest would result in the round going too far into the internals and rupturing the stomach thus rendering the carcass unfit.

You'll get away with it generally with a large deer if you use Ballistic Tips - the closer the better! The round doesn't usually make it past the diaphragm.
MS

Had a guest from the UK out last season. The only two sika stags that presented themselves were almost frontal.
Although both shots had to be taken very quickly he threaded the 308 bullets ingoing just past one leg and exited just
behind the other. One was a 160m stag running up a valley that was frightened by something below us but stood
for a moment. The other was a six pointer at 25yds heading up the hill right towards us.
Damage on both animals was very little.
I took a hind with a 22-250 dead on frontal at 180m. She dropped as hit by lightning. Bullet did stop before diaphragm.
Also minimal damage, would have been a mess with another cal.
Last season a very quick shot presented itself as a hind stopped for a second before jumping the fence. Angle would have been
ok to thread the bullet out just behind the leg. Was a bit over 200m, but she must have just moved or the the 80gr 243 soft point
that entered almost square frontal did not exit but zipped along the hide opposite side to break the rear leg bone.
So much for varmint bullet.....
edi

It never will, as it ceased to exist before the bullet left the muzzle.

The bullet, on the other hand...

This reply was brought to you by Armchair Pedants Against Misuse of Terminology.
Maybe you should get out of your armchair and go shooting more often?:tiphat:
MS

I
Had a guest from the UK out last season. The only two sika stags that presented themselves were almost frontal.
Although both shots had to be taken very quickly he threaded the 308 bullets ingoing just past one leg and exited just
behind the other. One was a 160m stag running up a valley that was frightened by something below us but stood
for a moment. The other was a six pointer at 25yds heading up the hill right towards us.
Damage on both animals was very little.
I took a hind with a 22-250 dead on frontal at 180m. She dropped as hit by lightning. Bullet did stop before diaphragm.
Also minimal damage, would have been a mess with another cal.
Last season a very quick shot presented itself as a hind stopped for a second before jumping the fence. Angle would have been
ok to thread the bullet out just behind the leg. Was a bit over 200m, but she must have just moved or the the 80gr 243 soft point
that entered almost square frontal did not exit but zipped along the hide opposite side to break the rear leg bone.
So much for varmint bullet.....
edi

Hind with a 22-250...careful there may be a s*#t storm heading your way.

Don't you just love our screwed up firearms laws. What's good for me you can't have and what you can use I can't.

Having just spent an evening sampling various very fine homebrews....

What exactly is a "maidenhead berk"?

.22-250 on hinds???

And why is MS giving da Lua a hard time for spotting the deliberate mistake?

Full frontal chest shots? :eek:.... Ok I'll stop now.

(nice shots though, if their botties are higher than their withers... it's a geometric thing... init?)

The 22/250 is top notch at stopping deer you just have to place the shot in the correct area. Love the caliber cheers Hootsman

The 22/250 is top notch at stopping deer you just have to place the shot in the correct area. Love the caliber cheers Hootsman[/
Love the cal too ..........for my foxs
and I am sure many deer get " killed " with 22 c/f rifles every week but I would rather use my more "conventional"
deer rifles just my op
i suppose I could kill a bull elephant with one if I shot it in exactly the right spot where ever they maybe .!!!!

Kind regards
norma

True Norma 308. I like the .308 for shooting deer but for roe I like the 22/250. I do shoot roe with the big gun aswell but there are red and sika on the estate so I dont take the 22/250 there. All of my other ground just has roe so I take the 22/250. Its a great caliber and I think some people under rate it and over look it. I fire 63grn sp out the end of it so it knows how to party. cheers Hootsman

Many years ago in Galloway I was doing a culling job on a Christmas tree farm shooting Reds with a 30-06, walking through the trees I came across a Roe buck at about 100yds thrashing a tree face on to me.
So up with the sticks bank down it went and lay there with its legs going ten to the dozen.
When I got to it I had blown both its left hand side legs of and it was well alive, not a shot I will take again unless the deer is well above me.

I was asked by a fulltime stalker to shoot a red stag in the chest front on. I questionned him he said yes, I shot it, it went down like a sack of spuds. About 80m with a 150gr 30-06 soft point. Bullet never went past the diaphragm. Far more likely to damage the green stuff inside if you try to put one through its chest from BEHIND :eek: :evil: :evil:

Back