A tick free deer?

XYZ

I shot a small yearling buck on Thursday evening in Hampshire. Did the necessary in the field, bound it's legs, slung it over my shoulder and took it home.

Usually after this my clothes are put to wash and I spend a bit of time inspecting myself for ticks.

To my surprise I found none on me. Normally a few ticks or lice are to be found but there was nothing.

Yesterday I skinned and butchered it. I inspected all the tick hotspots on the carcass - nothing!

After skinning there were still no ticks on me, has anyone else come across an apparent tick free deer?

I get alot of my roe deer with no ticks at all. it depends on your ground I think. I get the odd one that has a few but theres never loads of them. cheers Hootsman

Likewise, I get some totally clean muntjac and roe, rarely see totally clean fallow and I don't think I've ever shot a clean red, but it varies from beast to beast and time of year.

Thanks for your replies Gents.

I've never come across it before. I've been shooting deer on this piece of ground for many years and never had a clean one such as this. Every other one has been crawling to varying degrees.

Yep, on a regular basis. Then again occasionaly I find one from the same area that is infested, indeed I have had one in the chill for 5 days and skinned it to find myself covered in Keds.

I tend to agree with hootsman, on a couple of bits of ground where I shoot, a deer with any significant (let's say immediately apparent/obvious) tick burden is rare and perfectly clean deer seem quite common
On other grounds individual deer can be thick with ticks
Must be something to do with health and condition too
The old murder buck that I shot on Malc's place earlier this year had quite a few ticks in the usual nooks and crannies but most deer on his patch are quite clean
Some spots in Dorset seem to be crawling with ticks, and I've carried home a passenger or two even when I haven't seen a deer all day, never mind after skinning one

editted to correct spelling

Most of my deer hav a few ticks only shot 1 which was on hootsmans ground that was clean.i shot a red stag up in sutherland that was covered in ticks and crawling with keds it gave me the heebys.lol

That bit of the hill never has any ticks on the deer. The next hill we went to you will get one or two on the deer. Its not a problem for me realy. They do make me shivver I hate the bloody things.I just had a thought Kev maybe the .308 blows them off lol cheers Hootsman

That bit of the hill never has any ticks on the deer. The next hill we went to you will get one or two on the deer. Its not a problem for me realy. They do make me shivver I hate the bloody things.I just had a thought Kev maybe the .308 blows them off lol cheers Hootsman

U never no hootsman maybe it dose.lol it is a area thing.the area of sutherland i shot my stag was heaving glad i never got any.u wanted to hav seen me after i got it off the hill just about had my leg round my neck checking the old family jewls.:D

Back