Thread: new scope wanted

new scope wanted

i have recently bought a .308 and i have had it screw cut and i really like the gun so much that im thinking of selling my .223 and using the money to buy a realy good scope but i cant decide what on the 308 at the minute i have a 6x42 meopta and on my .223 i have a 8x56 schmidt + bender and i want somthing which is better than the schmidt with a magnification of x12 minimum as i do a lot of fox shooting at night. i think buy time i sell the 223 with the meopta on top and use the schmidt as a trade in plus a bit of cash i will have 1000 max so does anyone have any views even if it is to stay with the schmidt
    p.s. not to be fussy i dont wont a illuminated rectical or a scope with paralax adjustment

What .223 are you thinking of selling? I have space for one on my license and ought to get one soon.

What about a Leupold? You shold be able to get a god IR one for less than 1K i should think.
    If not then the S&B 4-16x50 would be a good bet.
    Depending on where in Wilts you are I'd say Sportsmans or Greenfields would be your best prices locally.

if the 8x56 is up for sale i'd like first refusal please - cash waiting!

I have a S&B klassic 3-12X50 which I'm going to sell shortly. It has light ring marks and a small paint chip off the top. I have the box and lens covers.
    I'm selling it because it doesn't have a illuminated reticle and all my other scopes have. New price on optics warehouse is 883 but I'll only want 470 including butler creek scope covers.

Cheers John

sako and buck please see your pm and i will keep you both informed

The glass on S&B variable scopes is excellent, however I find the first focal plane reticle is too thick for longer range work when at full magnifcation it will often obscure a small target such as a fox.

However, as a stalking scope they come into their own at first and last light as the light gathering properties are excellent and the thicker reticule allows you to shoot when finer reticules are invisible. There is of course the same trade off when lamping when you can see a thicker reticule.

A stalking friend who lamps a lot of foxes bought a big flashy Leopold varmint scope with a fine reticule in the 2nd focal plane. It was fantastic on a range and in broad daylight but when used on a deer in low light or with a lamp on foxes the reticle was invisible, so within a month he sold it!

The reticle of a variable-power riflescope may be located in the first focal plane, associated with the objective lens; or it may be in the second focal plane, associated with the ocular lens. The practical consequences of the design choice are immediately evident when using the scope. A first-image-plane reticle changes size in lock-step with the target image as you change the magnification setting. Increase the power, and the target and reticle grow simultaneously. Decrease the power, and they both shrink. Either way, the reticle always covers, or subtends, the same amount of the target.

When the reticle is in the second focal plane, changing power setting increases or decreases the size of the target image, but the reticle remains a constant size to your eye. As the target image is enlarged, the reticle covers less of the target. As the target image is reduced, the reticle subtends more of it, possibly obscuring areas you might prefer to keep in view.

Some of the new of Swarovski scopes are second focal plane and are excellent but with the current against the Euro exchange rates they're expensive. Have a look at several different makes and models of scopes in all light conditions before you buy.

thank you 6.5 some very sound advice you are obviously a chap in the know