How's this for a stalking rifle

Mat

I've been having issues with my other rifle, so I've been using this one...

PICT0855.jpg

I estimate that the rifle weight around 15 pounds and normally has iron sights on it, no sling swivels, it's actually got a guitar strap held on with paracord. It's not actually too bad to walk around with it slung in front, the strap rotates round when you bring it into position.

Bumped into the munty today: a youngster, so not very experienced (not unlike me), it ran into some very light cover iabout 25 yards n front of me and looked at me. Not exactly a hard shot...

It's a Tubb 2000 in 308 win, believe it or not, it does actually qualify as an NRA target rifle. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked: "what's that?".

http://www.davidtubb.com/t2k.html

I've also got a 6mm barrel for it, though I didn't ask to be allowed to use it for stalking. Not that I asked for this rifle specifically, but if they will be vague and say in the condition "the 308 rifle shall...", they didn't say which 308... :evil:

Very nice indeed, so its off an AR15 chassis then?

Whats wrong with your other rifle?

Do you ever go to Bisley?

Sorry about all the questions but I guess you had an idea you'd get them putting up a pic like that :evil:

nice mat but wont the power rangers need there laser cannon back soon :D
only joking i looked at getting a target rifle like that once for fox shooting but was put off buy the prices would you say they are worth the money as far as acuracy goes?

Very nice indeed, so its off an AR15 chassis then?

No, it's a conventional 2 lug bolt gun, however the ergonomics are AR inspired.

Whats wrong with your other rifle?

Well, I thought my Howa was zeroed until I inexplicably missed a deer. Back at the zero range, I discovered it was way off and in the limited time I had, I couldn't get it to group reliably. In retrospect, I think part of problem was that the barrel was getting hotter and hotter. So I decided that I'd get the T2000 out (until I sort out the Howa), as it's not had a problem grouping before: took the iron sights off, put the scope on, quick bore sight and it was zeroed within 3 rounds.

Do you ever go to Bisley?
Up until my son was born at the end of last year, I was going about once a month. Since then I've not been properly. Concentrating on stalking at the moment, it's much easier logistically because it's local and I can pop out early in the morning before work or in the evening during the week.

sir-lamp-alot said:
nice mat but wont the power rangers need there laser cannon back soon :D
only joking i looked at getting a target rifle like that once for fox shooting but was put off buy the prices would you say they are worth the money as far as acuracy goes?

Yeah, someone else I know refers to it as the 'ray gun'...

I bought the T2000 not because of the accuracy, but because it's built specifically for highpower, so it the ergonomics, and the light bolt lift, superb Anschutz trigger and bolt that it guaranteed not to smack into your face.

I'm not overly worried by accuracy, it's not a benchrest or f class rifle,for me I lose points because of lack of practice! IMHO unless you are sh*t hot, then once your rifle groups reliably around 1 MOA, then most of it is human error: whether it's bad technique, inability to read wind etc. Having said that, the T2000 is quite capable...

Back