scales and manual

toad

hi guys i am starting to get some stuff together to enter the world of reloading. i have had a rcbs press and some other bits and bobs including a dvd have been on ytube for a couple of months. some great info. my question is should i buy digital scales or the more traditioal type and also which loading manual should i buy. any advice would be great.

hi guys i am starting to get some stuff together to enter the world of reloading. i have had a rcbs press and some other bits and bobs including a dvd have been on ytube for a couple of months. some great info. my question is should i buy digital scales or the more traditioal type and also which loading manual should i buy. any advice would be great.
Do yourself a favour and dont bother with the lyman beam scales as the ones i have are a waste of time,i can put a 130grn bullet in the pan and it reads a different weight every time.

Do yourself a favour and dont bother with the lyman beam scales as the ones i have are a waste of time,i can put a 130grn bullet in the pan and it reads a different weight every time.

Well if this is the case and they are set up correctly then there is a major problem. One that I certainly have never seen. I own two sets of beam scales, Lyman 500 and CH and both are repeatable and as accurate as I can tell. Dust is a problem if not cleaned off on a regular basis and being level and free from draughts is also important.

Now I have never tried the modern digital scales and frankly cannot seem doing so having the scales I already have. However quality on the digital ones so I have heard is a variable thing and it seems like a lot of new electronics are built is a few plants in the far east and China. so take you pick and pay your money.

and also which loading manual should i buy

Richard Lees modern Reloading is good just ignore the sales talk through it as it does plug Lee equipment of course. Now if you just want to read through the hand loading procedure to get the idea of how to go about it all then drop me a line and you can borrow a manual. Just post it back when your done reading it.

Otherwise may I suggest you look on that auction site ;) ............................ I acquired both my Hornady 7th edition and Speers #14 off there for reasonable money and both were new.

cheers lads . a very kind offer to loan a manual brithunter . i have seen that hornaday scales are available at around £40 to me that seems very cheap and with there name on them you would think they ok. i have also seen second hand rcbs beam scales having the two would be ideal but not good for the pocket which ones would you guys get

Toad, I have the rcbs beam scales you could have as ive just bought the hornady digital scales.They look like something youd find in a police raid.
If you get in touch with norman clark gunsmiths, he has put together a reloading manual on a load of different calibres, inlieu of just the odd page.
I've ordered one and will pick it up at the midland in 243 and 270.

Personally I would always opt for the beam scales - A good set will never let you down and will last a lifetime. I would recommend either a Redding No 2 or an RCBS 502 or 505. They are just straightforward, easy to read, accurate scales.

I would avoid the the RCBS R130, it's a cheap plastic based scale and not of the ususal RCBS quality. The Lee scale is cheap and accurate but very fiddly to set and use, also as it only weighs up to 100 grains can only weigh the lighter bullets. I would also avoid the newer Lymans with the plastic bases.

I have around 25 beam scales and several digitals - I always weigh powder with beam scale and I usually weigh bullets and cases with a digital.

I have beam scales dating back to the 1940's that still work perfectly but I don't think there will be many digital scales that you could pass on to your grandchildren.

Good beam scales are quick and accurate. This is a video of my RCBS 502's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dnVOoGd1bDU

Another vote for the RCBS 502 or 505 :)

I use a cheap electronic scale to check the initial throw after adjusting my Lee Perfect Powder Measure between calibres/powders. After getting it just under I throw the powder and use a set of RCBS 505s with a Target Master electronic trickler to give very consistent charges.

No worries toad, yes got the message about the geese thanks, will watch the weather this weekend,been around 40 acres just looking,awful amount of geese but this weather there not moving until later in the day and their bloody high,speak soon.

Back