I have done it again! bought a rifle and couldnt help myself but strip it and refurb it!
I decided I needed a dedicated foxing calibre.
1) Centrefire (have been shooting most of my foxes with a variety of rimfire rounds at short range but am running out of stupid foxes)
2) less than .243 (already have one and apart from the noise I need something a little lighter in all respects as I shoot a lot of urban areas)
3) magazine fed
4) quiet as possible preferably already screwcut in 1/2UNF
I decided a .222 fed on 50gr VMax would be just the ticket
after much searching and taking advice on those who know more I plumped on a BRNO Fox Model 2, 5 shot mag, enclosed receiver, double set trigger, walnut stock etc etc
had a few to choose from but found 2 over in Ayrshire.
I picked the one with the youngest date stamp, smoothest cycling, best wood and nicer bolt handle style. It had a problem with the set trigger in the shop and was marked down as a result. even came with a decent Tasco scope.
first things first.
2.5" barrel chop, 1/2" UNF screw cut and new 11deg crown courtesy of J Russell (F/A) Ltd Whitburn
next day service and a fine job.
probably could have gone to 3-3.5" CHOP if I had thought about it as I want something pointable.
next I decided that I didnt like the profile of the agricultural bolt handle so it met with the bench grinder and lots of sandpaper:
next all parts stripped to components, polished and degreased ready for hot caustic bluing:
I need a new extractor collar but have sourced one new from Edgar Brothers as they are identical to the CZ527!
£10 it will be here tomorrow!
The barrel went in the bluing tank tonight (after rather irritatingly dinging the new crown on the very outer edge!)
This is what a screwcut barrel and thread protector looks like after going through a hot caustic bluing tank!
Can you see the deliberate mistake!?
apparently the thread protector was aluminium.....was being the operative word!
It is a bit short in the LOP for my Orang Utan arms so I removed the nasty plastic butt plate and ground a 1" block of rubber to fit and contoured it slightly. I now mounts perfectly. The solid rubber was a little heavy so I drilled some "vents" in it which made a bit of difference to the balance.
I stripped the lacquer off the wood, sanded it down with increasingly fine paper down to 1200 grit.
Preferring darker wood I stained it rather than Alaknet'd it and then sanded down again.
about 10 coats of Phillips Walnut Oil preparation later and it looks like this:
A dab of "Raven Red Revlon nail varnish" to replace the "Fire" indicator and its nearly there!!