Thread: Knife Sheath Making

Knife Sheath Making

I have seen a good thread on hand made Knife Sheaths and thought I might share a quick guide of my own.
    Please take into account I am a raw beginer at the leatherwork game and was lucky to have the expert guidance of Ted Mitchell helping me along.
    After Cutting the shape the belt loop is folded and stictched.
    I was lucky in that Ted had a jumping Stag stamp to stamp an imprint on the front of the sheath.
    After that a gusset is glued to prevent the blade cutting the stitching. The Stitch pattern is marked and the wholes cut.
    We used a bench drill to old the Awl and press through the leather nice and straight.
    The sheath is then doubleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Snot is good for this ha ha.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	18910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Gluing the stich saver piece on the sheath.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	18911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 Stitching the belt loop.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	18912 stiched and the tag ends are burnt down
    Finally a check is made to ensure the knife fits.
    A few Photos of the process.

A few other bits and peices I have made previously. And the Jumping Stag Stamp.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0066.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	18918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0068 (Large).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	18919

What type of mask were you wearing when using the belt sander??

Quote Originally Posted by bigoak View Post
    A welders mask
    Sino-nasal cancer and exposure to leather dust

Occupational Cancer

A bit like Blue Asbestos - a one-off exposure is enough to do the damage

Anyway - welding matters aside

Get the Handsewing book by Al Stohlman
    Try to pick up a traditional sewing clam OR a modern sewing clamp (IF you want to get complex the Stohlman book has plans in the back for a stitching pony)

If there is a table there - use it - resting kit in fresh air is not the best for accurate results & you get more tired that way
    Try to pick up the following tools on Ebay:
    1. Sewing awl
    2. pricking iron, a 6 or 7 to the inch will do for most of your tasks
    3. an edge crease, Osborne do a nice-ish wooden on with several different spacings to it
    3. an edge shave - a #2 will be a good all-round size

...& ask me how I know how it's better to work while wearing shoes?

LePrevo in Newcastle are a good firm for mail order items.

Pity you are so far or I'd offer you a few free lessons!!

Bigoak I think that you have done a fine job as a beginner and Saddler thank you so much for your advice!
    I was, as I'm certain many more are, completely unaware of the hazards of leather dust!
    Very enlightening!
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

Thanks for the Advice and offer Sadddler, Didnt realise leasther dust could be such Bad Stuff.
    I borrowed My mates tools, I am guessing the pricking Iron is the thing that looks like a Cowboys Spur for measuring the gap between the holes.
    Putting the Awl in the drill press is an excellent way of getting nice straight holes without tiring your hand or accidently putting a awl through your thumb.
    BTW I wasnt wearing a welders mask.
    I had my Zoro mask on.

The Cowboys Spur thing is an American stitch marker - unless it is one of the real British made pricking wheels - not able to tell without more info.
    The US made ones are next to useless...the British ones cost a small fortune.
    A pricking iron will just mark the sewing holes on the surface...they are NOT to be knocked all the way through the hide...that way when used correctly the mark left from the pricking iron will be the guide for your awl & also give a neater look to your sewing

Awl holes are NOT supposed to be straight.
    The awl WILL have 4 flat sides to it. ONE of the sides is to be kept parallel to the edge of the piece of work; the reason is that IF there is any tension on the sewn item that translates through to the thread, the thread will NOT be lying in an edge-edge configuration & therefore cut through the leather (look at machine sewn denim to see edge-edge sewing...) but will be offset instead...

PM me if you have any questions

Yep Realise that. And the drill pres can be set to achieve the desired result.
    Maybe I didnt mention that we dont actually turn the drill on. Just us it as a press.