Thread: My First Deer

My First Deer

Finally got some time to write up a small piece about my first deer.

Being very new to deer stalking I had only had one outing before which was unsuccessful though a great experience I booked myself in with Hockham Deer Management in Norfolk for my second outing a few weeks back.

On the first evening we spotted a Red spiker in a field about 300yds away, a lot of slow quiet, crouching and crawling later (it seemed to take forever !) we got within 80yds but sadly no shot was presented and off he went on his way - no shot was taken but what an experience !!

The next morning whilst glassing a field of crops a Roe Buck stuck his head up from the middle of the field - would this be my first deer ? We worked our way along the hedge line adjacent to the field to get into a position where a shot was possible, I was sure I was making enough noise to wake the dead but he didn't seem to take much notice thankfully (maybe he was deaf lol !). Finally we were in a position about 110yds from him, I got my rifle on the sticks and using a tree for support I readied myself for the right time. He moved on a little and presented me with a shot, I steadied and took the shot and down he went - my first deer !

What a great experience and I want to thank everyone at Hockham for helping me get my first deer - I had a great time....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	18928

well done, hope its the first of many more to come

Hi, An excellent and exciting account. Must try Hockham as fancy Norfolk, will make a change from S Cumbria. Cheers, K

Well done, one you will never forget!
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie