What call best 7mm08 or 6.5x65

Thanks to all that's contributed to this thread its just what I wanted. Have decided on the 7mm08. its going to be either a Sako or Sauer will visit a few dealers and see what feels best.

DS

Good Choice....my 7mm08 is one of my favourites. I have loads worked up for 100, 120 and 140 grain bullets that all shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yards so will cover foxes, roe, fallow and red. Excellent calibre choice.

P.S. had a 6.5 swede and it was cracking at the range but just too penitrative for roe. :oops:

Hmmm I am assuming you have a typo and meant the 6.5x55 SE (Swedish)? :confused:

Personally the 6.5mm is s bit close to the .243 (6mm) so i would be looking at 7mm calibre. I would not however be considering the 7-08 as I can see not particular benefit to it over the established and reknowned 7mm Mauser (7x57mm) also known as .275 Rigby with the right profile bullet that is ;).

Now don't get me wrong I really like the 6.5mm (.256") and own three such rifles in different chamberings but as I say I feel it's too close to the .243 to be much of an improvement in your case.

Slight correction:-
6.5mm is .264", not .256" and lies exactly midway between .243" (6mm) and 7mm (.284")

Cheers
iain

Correct bullet is 0.264" however bore size is 0.256" and we British measure bore diameter NOT groove diameter hence the .303 which uses a 0.311/312" bullet. Also if you actually measure the groove diameter of the Mannlichers and some Swedish Mausers you will find the grooves size in actually 0.268" and not as many claim 0.264". Both my own Mannlichers including the brand new Steyr made barrel on the Mdl 1903 have a groove diameter of 0.268" the bore diameter however is right on 0.256"

The 6.5x53R and 6.5x54MS (Mannlicher Schoenauer) were know as the .256 Mannlicher Gibbs did a modified 6.5x54MS that was known as the .256 Gibbs magnum.

So, a .243" isn't .243", but a 7mm is 7mm?

What a minefield!

I have a 6.5x55mm, and I shall continue to use the metric measurement so I don't get confused:)

Cheers
iain

Whats difference in recoil between .243, 7mm08 and 6.5x55 with a mod on or even a 30/06

IJust saw this question, Interesting as I used to shoot a Tikka 6.5, re barrelled to 30-06 AI......the Tikka kicked like a mule and flipped like a break dancer compared to it. Story is I suppose, it isnt just the calibre, its the load / bullet you use in a calibre and the barrel and stock that rally matter to.

The big reds in Galloway take some stopping especially in the forestry narrow rides but the distances are not going to be great so I would go with a 30-06,270 or a 308 all will flatten reds up to 200yds if shot in the right place.

The red deer in Galloway especially big are they? I didn't know that.

Your final six words say it all. BASC (or possibly the BDS) did a survey a few years ago. In a nutshell, the professional Scottish deer stalking generally uses a .243, and the amateur uses a 7mm or larger. That's because the professional Scottish deer stalker can generally shoot straight and hit them in the right place.

-JMS

Personally the 6.5mm is s bit close to the .243 (6mm) so i would be looking at 7mm calibre. I would not however be considering the 7-08 as I can see not particular benefit to it over the established and reknowned 7mm Mauser (7x57mm)

The 7-08 comes in a 'short' .308 Win length action, the 7x57 comes in a slighter longer Mauser length action. That may affect the choice of scope, or mounts, given the greater distance between the bases and hence rings. To that extent, the 7-08 has a slight advantage.

-JMS

hi guys i have a 708 my mate has a 308 to me the most important thing is bullet head choice for big red deer wether it shoots like a rainbow or not you should put in alote of range time so you know where its goin to hit at 20 yrds to 300 yards incase you have to take a follow up shot
colin

jms is on the money. you need to know how to shoot. from then any hunting style bullet from 120 gn in any cal from 6.5 will do the job as long as you can use it. End of story.

jms is on the money. you need to know how to shoot. from then any hunting style bullet from 120 gn in any cal from 6.5 will do the job as long as you can use it. End of story.

Shooting straight and putting bullet in right place has never been an issue for me, Just fancied a bigger round that's all and will be doing boar next year. Anyway thanks all for advice I have a new 7mm08 on order.

:thumb::thumb:You will love it. Its a great Cal that shoots well and is pleasant at the same time. Post a Pic when It comes in.

Hmmm I am assuming you have a typo and meant the 6.5x55 SE (Swedish)? :confused:

Personally the 6.5mm is s bit close to the .243 (6mm) so i would be looking at 7mm calibre. I would not however be considering the 7-08 as I can see not particular benefit to it over the established and reknowned 7mm Mauser (7x57mm) also known as .275 Rigby with the right profile bullet that is ;).

Now don't get me wrong I really like the 6.5mm (.256") and own three such rifles in different chamberings but as I say I feel it's too close to the .243 to be much of an improvement in your case.

I can see some advantages and disadvantages. The 6.5x55 has a 40% advantage in bullet weight over the .243 (100gr vs 139gr) but it is a longer cartridge. The 7-08 can handle heavier bullets than the 6.5x55, and is a slightly shorter cartridge than the 6.5x55. The 7x57 has slightly higher velocities than the 7-08, though in practice this amounts to little, but it is also longer than the 7-08. A longer cartridge means a longer reciever and this might limit the choice of scopes that will fit (or offeset mounts are required). Both the 7-08 and the 7x57 (which are in reality equivalents in differient packages) and the 6.5x55 would meet the OP's requirements.

Best thing to do, if possible, is try all three on a range and see which he likes best.

--JMS906

I shot all three of these last night, side by side. There is really no difference in the 7-08 and 7x57 that a deer would notice, and frankly, the 6.5 would fall into the same group. I would choose any with equal expectations.~Muir

Firstly I have not used the 6.5 but can say the 7-08 is very effective. Have shot 5 fallow prickets so far this season with Remington 140gr SPs from 110 to 250 yards and none went more than 20 yards before piling up, 2 dropped on the spot. My rifle is an old Remington 700 Varmint Special from the early 80's with an equally old Leupold 3-10 x 50 on top. It has a PES moderator. Am sure the 6.5 could equal its performance but would not exceed it so for me its 7-08 all the way. Hope this helps.

I collect my Sako 85 7mm08 soon gone for wood/stainless. Does anyone have a 85 and can you recommend the best factory ammo you have found for yours? I know each rifle is different but would like to here experiences.

Thanks
DS

I don't know anything for sure about the "Skan" designation, frankly. Never heard of it until I was looking up high pressure loads in the 6.5x55. Interesting that they would come up with something that close but not uncommon. Thanks!~Muir

Apparently this all dates back to the year 1894 when a joint Swedish/Norwegian commission after testing the merits of various rounds(from 1891 onwards) settles on 6,5mm(.264").
The arm that the swedes chose was the M96, the norwegians, the Krag Jørgensen. Each country was issued with their own min/max chamber measurements. There was however some political problems when norwegian cartridges were found not to work in swedish rifles. Apparently the swedes had chambered there rifles to min spec and the norwegians the opposite. Target shooting is big in Scandinavia and the 6.5x55 is King. In 1991 the Sauer 200 Scandinavian Target Rifle was approbiated for shooting disciplines in Scandinavia as a standard rifle. It is chambered in 6.5x55 Skan in an attempt to close the gap between the disagreements from before.
In practice, from what I have read over here, alot of people also use the regular 6.5x55 dies and get good results(mostly neck sizing anyway).Hope this helps as a short summary.
Toby

:thumb::thumb:You will love it. Its a great Cal that shoots well and is pleasant at the same time. Post a Pic when It comes in.

Bigoak Pictures as requested. DSC01064.jpg

Just got round to trying out my 7mm08 on the range. First tried 140 grain Federal fusion and struggled to get any better than 2" ctr to ctr. Really wasnt happy as I knew I can shoot 1/2" regular. This made me feel that I had made the wrong decision with regards to caliber as Federal always shoot good in all my other rifles. But I decided to stick with Federal and tried premium 140 grain Nosler BT today and well happy with results @ 8mm centres at 100 meters. I will now try the 7mm 08 on the red and sika stags next week and let you know if I feel the 7mm08 knocks them over a little better than the old .243.

Must admit that the 7mm08 isn't that much flatter then the 308 but after comparing the two today in the same rifle sako 85 the 7mm08 is definitely much smoother to shoot.

As for thoses that said that I needed to know how to shoot straight. I personally don't think that for a factory rifle and factory ammo achieving 8mm centres DSC01065.jpg is too bad, do you?

DS

​Now a converted 7mm08 owner

Bigoak Pictures as requested. View attachment 31771

Just got round to trying out my 7mm08 on the range. First tried 140 grain Federal fusion and struggled to get any better than 2" ctr to ctr. Really wasnt happy as I knew I can shoot 1/2" regular. This made me feel that I had made the wrong decision with regards to caliber as Federal always shoot good in all my other rifles. But I decided to stick with Federal and tried premium 140 grain Nosler BT today and well happy with results @ 8mm centres at 100 meters. I will now try the 7mm 08 on the red and sika stags next week and let you know if I feel the 7mm08 knocks them over a little better than the old .243.

Must admit that the 7mm08 isn't that much flatter then the 308 but after comparing the two today in the same rifle sako 85 the 7mm08 is definitely much smoother to shoot.

As for thoses that said that I needed to know how to shoot straight. I personally don't think that for a factory rifle and factory ammo achieving 8mm centres View attachment 31770 is too bad, do you?

DS

Well done Craig try some Sako ammo you may one hole your target.

Kind regards Jimbo

Bigoak Pictures as requested. View attachment 31771

As for thoses that said that I needed to know how to shoot straight. I personally don't think that for a factory rifle and factory ammo achieving 8mm centres View attachment 31770 is too bad, do you?

DS

Nothing wrong with that rifle or groupings! Very nice.

I'll now put my 6.5x55 away grab my 7mm-08 and. . . . 55 minutes of light left, I'm off!

Back