Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mitsubishi shogun noise

mitsubishi shogun noise

we have a 53 plate swb shogun which makes a rather load and annoying droning noise when going upwards of say 15/20 mph and is there constantly until back under that speed. the noise is almost identical to a wheel bearing noise(i dont think this is the problem) but much louder. the shogun is a commercial with nothing in the back and is running on mud terrains so i accept it will be somewhat noiser than normal but do any of you think there could be anything more sinsiter to the excesive noise?

I experienced something similar with my Nissan D22, I thought it was road noise from the ATR tyres until a mechanic spotted that a propshaft joint was badly worn.atb Tim

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    What are your prop shafts like? Might need packing with grease or replacing if the Universal Joint has worn excessively...

TJ

AAAhhh Timbrayford, beat me to it
    Last edited by tartinjock; 05-09-2012 at 18:36. Reason: Beat to the answer!!
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

cheers guys, ill have them looked at. like i say im pretty sure its not wheel bearings(think we checked) and i accept a bit of noise due to it being open in the rear(oooo er) and the tyres but its getting a bit annoying now so if its something fixable it wants doing. already had to clean all the crap out of it from the egr to the valves so now its running right a little quietness would be appreciated

Mass duel flywheel my be ?

Den

i hope not or ill be crying into my cornflakes at the thought of paying for a new one. dont suppose anyone knows how to check the propshaft etc? my uncles a mechanic but hes away until next week.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I'd hope there would be difficulty in engaging gear if that was to start failing....especially from neutral into first? Once in motion it wouldn't be much of a problem.

To check the propshafts-

Get underneath, grab it near the ends and try to move it up and down, left and right, movement will be noticable at the universal joint located at each end.

TJ
    Last edited by tartinjock; 05-09-2012 at 18:53.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

no problems with gear selection or pulling away etc, just this droning when you start getting up to speed and then its constant

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    i hope not or ill be crying into my cornflakes at the thought of paying for a new one. dont suppose anyone knows how to check the propshaft etc? my uncles a mechanic but hes away until next week.
    1. Crawl under vehicle, 2. Grab propshaft adjacent to each joint and shake vigorously, any free play at all indicates wear, 3 Clean cr*p out of eyes, 4. Put clothes in wash & have shower/bath. atb Tim

haha cheers tj and tim, if it wasnt for the fact emmerdales on i would do it now, ill check it on the morning. thanks guys