mitsubishi shogun noise

ziggy

we have a 53 plate swb shogun which makes a rather load and annoying droning noise when going upwards of say 15/20 mph and is there constantly until back under that speed. the noise is almost identical to a wheel bearing noise(i dont think this is the problem) but much louder. the shogun is a commercial with nothing in the back and is running on mud terrains so i accept it will be somewhat noiser than normal but do any of you think there could be anything more sinsiter to the excesive noise?

I experienced something similar with my Nissan D22, I thought it was road noise from the ATR tyres until a mechanic spotted that a propshaft joint was badly worn.atb Tim

What are your prop shafts like? Might need packing with grease or replacing if the Universal Joint has worn excessively...

TJ

AAAhhh Timbrayford, beat me to it

Last edited:
cheers guys, ill have them looked at. like i say im pretty sure its not wheel bearings(think we checked) and i accept a bit of noise due to it being open in the rear(oooo er) and the tyres but its getting a bit annoying now so if its something fixable it wants doing. already had to clean all the crap out of it from the egr to the valves so now its running right a little quietness would be appreciated :doh:

i hope not or ill be crying into my cornflakes at the thought of paying for a new one. dont suppose anyone knows how to check the propshaft etc? my uncles a mechanic but hes away until next week.

I'd hope there would be difficulty in engaging gear if that was to start failing....especially from neutral into first? Once in motion it wouldn't be much of a problem.

To check the propshafts-

Get underneath, grab it near the ends and try to move it up and down, left and right, movement will be noticable at the universal joint located at each end.

TJ

Last edited:
no problems with gear selection or pulling away etc, just this droning when you start getting up to speed and then its constant

i hope not or ill be crying into my cornflakes at the thought of paying for a new one. dont suppose anyone knows how to check the propshaft etc? my uncles a mechanic but hes away until next week.
1. Crawl under vehicle, 2. Grab propshaft adjacent to each joint and shake vigorously, any free play at all indicates wear, 3 Clean cr*p out of eyes, 4. Put clothes in wash & have shower/bath. atb Tim

haha cheers tj and tim, if it wasnt for the fact emmerdales on i would do it now, ill check it on the morning. thanks guys

hi ziggy glad you have put up this post i have the very same problem with a mitsubishi pinni im getting vibration through the floor not to much but its there. its now getting on my t..s if you find out what it is can you let me know.

yeah of course i will bud, but it will prob be next week sometime before any suspicions are confirmed as im no mechanic and my uncles away but ill definitely keep you posted

as others have said check both ends of the shafts for up and down but also by twisting back and forth. i have just had to do both joints onthe front prop and the rear joint on the rear shaft on a l200 that had the same symptoms you are having which the owner left till it almost fecked the prop. ps the rear joint on the rear shaft can be changed without taking the shaft of the truck

i dont have a clue andy, before we cleaned out all the carbon from the inlet manifold etc though the diff light would come on after about 10 miles. its not so much as flashed since

Sorry to hyjack thread but I have an l200 that has just,had a light come on the dash,its battery and what looks like a small tv screen,with a small vertical line coming down.Oh and suddenly the central locking has stopped working.Please help as I use daily,can I still drive it, or will it damage anything, till I can get sorted,Regards Tony.

Back