Hello!

Joe Robbo

Hello,

My name is Joe and i'm from the north east. I live in Newcastle but home is in north yorkshire near northallerton. I've been shooting for coming up 2 years. I'm involved in game shooting (syndicate) and do quite a lot of vermin control (pigeons, crows, rabbits, foxes mainly) on a few of the farms which make up the shoot. I have a SGC and a FAC although as yet I do not have a deer legal calibre rifle. I'm also a BASC member. Rifle wise I use my 17hmr mainly. I do have deer on my permissions and although I haven't ventured down that road yet!
I would like to gain some experience in deer stalking before putting in a variation most likely for a 243 as I can use it for longer range fox as well.
What would peoples advice be to a newcomer such as myself? I'm thinking about booking a couple of accompanied stalks up in the Newcastle area, I hear Greenlee from Hexham are a good bet. After gaining some initial practical experience I intend to undertake the DSC 1 course, partly because the firearms licensing department would probably prefer for me to have this qualification but mainly to learn.
If anyone could point me in the right direction/ give me any advice I would be most grateful.

Joe

Welcome to the site. You will not go far wrong booking with Jon at Greenlees. Give him a call get some experience, swat up on your species and put in for your level 1. Good luck.

Hello Joe
Would be a wise move to do your level 1 ,most landowner,syndicates and the f C require it as a minimum at the moment ,certainly here in Galloway where i live it is! .Ive just done mine after 20 years stalking and i still learned something ,well worth it!!! You will also need the trained hunter number if you intend to take/sell deer to a dealer. Good luck
Dave
Ps Im from Newcastle too !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give Jon a call tomorrow and arrange my first outing with him! See what advice he has to give me, i'm sure there will be lots of it.

Back