Teaching - where do I stand?!

BunnyDoom

Well I've been told I'm being made redundant, so attended a college induction this week. On seeing my CV/experience my tutor asked if I could teach the practical element of pest and predator control (I've 10 years experience) - naturally I'm chuffed!i get course credit and good contacts from it!

Just wondered where I stood with regards to doing demo's with firearms? I just want to take them through safety etc (live fire will be 1:1 mentoring to those interested)

Joke answers aside - you may want to run it past your local FLO in case they have issues with it - but a letter from the establishment inviting you in for the task should well be good enough reason to do what you want to do

EDIT: & make sure the college gives you extra credits/deducts that part of the course from your fee accordingly/pays you - or a combination of the above!!

Well I've been told I'm being made redundant, so attended a college induction this week. On seeing my CV/experience my tutor asked if I could teach the practical element of pest and predator control (I've 10 years experience) - naturally I'm chuffed!i get course credit and good contacts from it!

Just wondered where I stood with regards to doing demo's with firearms? I just want to take them through safety etc (live fire will be 1:1 mentoring to those interested)

Sounds promising and as you say may open a few doors for more shooting along the way.

I think that if I was going to take a rifle into a school or college I would remove the firing pin from the bolt and ensure that I had written permission from the headmaster/principle.

Good luck, mate.
Sounds like something that could be very rewarding.
Teaching a slightly "out of the ordinary" subject is great, because you tend to get students who actually want to be there, and want to learn. Once you all gel together as a group I think you'll get as much out of it as they do.

I wanted to talk them through firearms safety, and will be taking small groups out to demonstrate various aspects of vermin control (including firearms).

As far as I'm aware there's no legal requirement to have formal training if I'm going to effectively be their mentor? I will have the tutor with me at all times anyway who'll be covering the health & safety side.

I guess to further clarify my question, what's the situation with regards to teaching them a little about firearms? - I realise they won't have any formal benefit from what I show them, but they will be learning about various types of vermin control and the use of firearms so I think it's important they have some practical experience.

I will also be pointing them in the right direction with regards to Lantra qualifications and DMQ's etc.

I also get free shooting and fishing on the land belonging to the campus :D

As a teacher in a secondary school - I know the rules are different from FE colleges. The course leader should ask you to do something to a syllabus which may or may not require rifles. If it does, they may ask for a risk assessment but should provide you with all documentation for the rifle being where it is required.

Just remember all best practise, bolt separate, trigger lock etc etc and it will all be fine, if it isn't - you won't get on site with a rifle and they will be clear beforehand.

Hope this helps

Richard

hi pal just one word for ya "INSURANCE !!!!" get that and the relivant paperwork permissions in place and go for it
regards
jimmy

the smart plan is to do timetabled off site work with those involved. A class room environment is a busy learning centre is far from ideal and I would stay clear of it. On a familiar ground though allows you more freedom to demonstrate and also without the stuffy pressure of being at the front of a class.

If you want to get into teaching of small groups I can recommend these people:

AtLast! Training - Training with Clear Objectives and Clear Benefits

I've done a full 5 day session on how to train people - worth every minute

I had a day with Vince, once. Less impressed than you!

He made some good points but was to over the top and my learning style does not involve getting up/colouring in or working in groups.

I sort of felt all day he was trying to sell me a used car or double glazing that I didn't want!

I had a day with Vince, once. Less impressed than you!

He made some good points but was to over the top and my learning style does not involve getting up/colouring in or working in groups.

I sort of felt all day he was trying to sell me a used car or double glazing that I didn't want!

Learning styles - that was the key thing that I wasn't aware of, we all have different ones and you can't teach properly using your learning style. I know what you mean though, I did cringe when I first started, but I enjoyed the course enough to do a full 5 day one and have qualified as a Lantra approved trainer.

Learning styles - that was the key thing that I wasn't aware of, we all have different ones and you can't teach properly using your learning style. I know what you mean though, I did cringe when I first started, but I enjoyed the course enough to do a full 5 day one and have qualified as a Lantra approved trainer.

A full week with Vince!!!

What a thought!

A good course though.

Depending on what you are actually teaching, you don't necessarily need a firearm, I did a human dispatch course (mink , hey squirrels) and used the kids bright orange ak47. , which raised a giggle. Especially when the mink was substituted with winnie the pooh.

Speak to the college staff, if they are not used to land based courses, it may be more hustle than it's worth.

You can always use podcasts or you tube clips.

I'm working on producing new materials for deer/ game management! Happy to help if I can.

Joke answers aside - you may want to run it past your local FLO in case they have issues with it

Careful, the police will often object for no reason other than it doesn't sound right for them. So long as you have permission to be on any premises with firearms you are not committing an offence and secondly you may only part with possession of a firearm to an unauthorised person under section 16 of the 1988 act or under the club exemption for target shooting with a home office approved club only. Take a look at borrowing rifles or borrowing shotguns on the BASC website.

When I did my DSC1 many years ago, Ronnie Rose had his broom handled Mauser for safety in class room. It was a rifle stock, with barrel made from a length of broom handle, the action was a block of wood drilled with 1/2 diameter hole and the bolt was a piece of dowel bar. No licensing issues, security or safety issues, but easy enough to demonstrate and practice.

I seem to remember when I was a cadet, there were "drill" 303s, again barrel had been plugged, firing pin shorted so impossible to fire, but action still functioned. Perhaps get a deactivated Mauser of some sort.

When I did my DSC1 many years ago, Ronnie Rose had his broom handled Mauser for safety in class room. It was a rifle stock, with barrel made from a length of broom handle, the action was a block of wood drilled with 1/2 diameter hole and the bolt was a piece of dowel bar. No licensing issues, security or safety issues, but easy enough to demonstrate and practice.

I seem to remember when I was a cadet, there were "drill" 303s, again barrel had been plugged, firing pin shorted so impossible to fire, but action still functioned. Perhaps get a deactivated Mauser of some sort.

Good shout! Thanks Heym

Sounds promising and as you say may open a few doors for more shooting along the way.

I think that if I was going to take a rifle into a school or college I would remove the firing pin from the bolt and ensure that I had written permission from the headmaster/principle.
D"ont forget Dunblane.
Make sure the police have it on their watch list in case someone in the college hits the panic button. Plus you will need secure storage for the rifles for when you must answer the calls of nature as the students cannot not have access to them while they are unattended.
Just my risk assesment.
But - go for it, teaching was always fun for me when I did it.
Martin

D"ont forget Dunblane.
Make sure the police have it on their watch list in case someone in the college hits the panic button. Plus you will need secure storage for the rifles for when you must answer the calls of nature as the students cannot not have access to them while they are unattended.
Just my risk assesment.
But - go for it, teaching was always fun for me when I did it.
Martin

Does taking the bolt with me and locking the rifle in the car count as secure storage?

Hi Bunnydoom

Sorry to here of your redundancy but glad you have found this opportunity to teach. Firstly i would get a written corriculum from the college on what they wanted and how they wanted you to teach the vermin control subjects. As for the one to one firearms training i would give that one a miss. As for taking the Firearms/Shotguns into the classroom as long as the students did not handle the weapons you could demonstrate gun safety and muzzle awareness etc no problem. I do this anually at a local village Scout group with Ferret and Gundog demonstrations i also take in some Pigeons to be plucked by the scouts and a couple of Rabbits that i skin for them as i do not let them handle the knife. At the end my wife cooks them Pigeon Burgers. I also show them how to crown a Pheasant. So you have a lot that you can do with ease. I wish you all the very best in your new venture.

Kind regards Jimbo

Back