Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another fine 6 pointer with Wallace Grant.

Another fine 6 pointer with Wallace Grant.

After a wee bit breeze kept him on his oil rig a bit longer than expected, Wallace got home yesterday and managed to get to mine for a bit of Stalking this morning. He arrived with Magner, his trusty guide dog, about 6am and we set off to have our usual look around. Very little to be seen in the fields but eventually we spotted a Buck in some woodland. It turns out that this one was an old friend. He'ld been stalked on countless occasions and last year he was particularly good at tearing up half the countryside !
    Anyway after a spectacular and difficult Stalk,in horrendous conditions, Wallace eventually managed to line up his Blaser .270 and send him to Bambi Heaven. This was his first shot (other than zeroing) through this rifle and hopefully augers well for the future. I can't remember what moderator he'ld on ( perhaps he'll remind me ?) but for .270 it was very, very quiet.
    With a very strong, thick neck with a bit of scarring and blood ( The Roe I mean, not Wallace ) he looked like he was still rutting. A bit late for that you'ld think.

As an aside we also saw a Doe with very young twins this morning, almost like they had just lost their spots. So I suppose there will be a bit of late rutting required there.

PS -- here's my ad in case anyone hasn't seen it yet - -

Roe Stalking near Inverness
    Roe Stalking for skilled or novice Hunters. Bring your own Rifle or you’re welcome to use my .243 or .223. Instruction available if required. From only £80 per outing (Approx four hours). No Trophy fees but a good bottle of Malt would be appreciated if you get yourself a decent one!

B&B also available ( £25 pppn) - - - - with pickup from Airport or Railway Station if required. Why not fly in to Inverness Airport which is only 5 mins away, stay over for a couple of days and do as many or as few Stalks as you fancy.Looks like it could be a good year - - there are more Bucks about than ever before.Good easy walking areas - - mixed arable with plenty woodland. Good looking companions/ wives/girlfriends are always extra welcome and you may take your Venison home with you for a moderate £1 per pound. Here's a link if you want an idea of the ground - -
    Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

It is mainly the woodland on the east side marching with the Fort George Ranges on the west.
    Contact me, John Ross on 01667 462 166 or 07774 742 227 or for more info and available dates etc.

" not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Well Done!!
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Well done Wallace hopefully the first of many for the .270 .

Many thanks again john, have been lucky to take a few with you this year. Hi wt was 38lbs prior to going in the chiller for your cull recordS. I need to have a look at his teeth to age him as we were thinking maybe 4 years old but looking at his head again i feel he is quite old, sloping coronets, short face, grey hair around muzzle/eyes and the hair on his forehead is thick and curly.

Alan hopefully i will get to take out a stag or two in morn with it

ATB wallace Ps the mod is a riflecraft Genie ii light and very quiet.

Well done wallace did you have your wee dog with you mate.

I Davie he was there, i do not leave him at home very often plus he loves being out. He will get plenty of stalking shortly 3 weeks at the stags on open the open hill with guests. He found 3 last season that had ran out of site on steep ground and dropped in deep heather. You will meet him one day.

ATB wallace

Well done Wallace, that's the new barrel blooded.

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Well done Wallace, glad you've got your first for the .270, if you want any Sako brass I've got a load down here.