Moroccan goat tagine - heavenly!

Muddy Springer

2lb diced goat (leg, shoulder etc off a yearling or ideally a goat kid)
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp cumin
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp tumeric
1tsp chilli flakes

450ml lamb stock
400g dried apricots
1 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 400g can chickpeas (not dry ones)

Fry off the onion and add the herbs and spices and cook for a further minute or two
Fry off the cubed meat in small batches til it gets a little colour

Thow everything except the chickpeas into a casserole dish and cook slow for a couple of hours until tender and falling apart (150C), add the chickpeas and cook for a further 15 minutes.

Serve up with rice/ potato wedges / cous cous or suchlike and a dollop of natural yoghurt. It makes the effort of getting them off the hill and the smell off your shooting clothes worthwhile!!

Good-looking receipe!

I like to use scraggier bits of vension tagine-wise. Neck, flank, brisket with their goodly quantities for graviogenic connective tissue seem to respond well to this well-seasoned and slow approach.

Served, in my household, at least, with couscous: altogether very Moorish.

i make this a lot with beef but am keen to try with venison and goat if i could get some... where would one source goat if you arent from somewhere you can shoot one!?

2lb diced goat (leg, shoulder etc off a yearling or ideally a goat kid)
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp cumin
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp tumeric
1tsp chilli flakes

450ml lamb stock
400g dried apricots
1 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 400g can chickpeas (not dry ones)

Fry off the onion and add the herbs and spices and cook for a further minute or two
Fry off the cubed meat in small batches til it gets a little colour

Thow everything except the chickpeas into a casserole dish and cook slow for a couple of hours until tender and falling apart (150C), add the chickpeas and cook for a further 15 minutes.

Serve up with rice/ potato wedges / cous cous or suchlike and a dollop of natural yoghurt. It makes the effort of getting them off the hill and the smell off your shooting clothes worthwhile!!

Sounds lovely.

I will have to get some goat meat out the freezer.

I was also going to cook a traditional Jamaican Curried goat, rice and peas.

Have you also given that a try?

Cheers

Ross

Back