Jimny / Shogun Pinin

Dovebob

All,

I'm thinking of getting a small, Japanese 4x4 to use as a solo stalking / shooting vehicle. I'll probably "van it up" by taking the back seats out and installing a plastic liner and dog guard. I'm looking for something that's cheap to buy and run, but still reliable. I'll be using it for local trips and the odd trip up to Scotland. Off roading will be round fields and tracks rather than serious mud plugging.

My budget is about 2.5 to 3.5K and I have limited mechanical skills, so that probablyt rules out a full sized 4x4. It would be a third car, so cheapness and economy are very important. I do like Landrovers, but can't afford a decent one and haven't got the time or skills to run an older Defender or Discovery.

I've narrowed it down to a Suzuki Jimny or perhaps a Shogun Pinin. I've researched the Jimny's quite a bit and had a good look round a neighbours one. I think one could suit my purposes. All the bits seem obvious and accessible, so there's a prospect that I might be able to do some routine maintenance myself.

I don't know much about the little Shoguns, but they seem pretty neat.

I'd be greatful for any advice on the two cars mentioned. I know Landrovers have alot of fans and I love em, but they don't suit my needs.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Wouldn't hesitate with Jimny, can't comment on the Pinin although the Daihatsu Terios is fantastic! I've seen those doing sill things and Top gear had one and you wouldn't believe what it did!

I run a Grand Vitara TD as did a few pals, again faultless other than ground clearance!

i have a shogun pinne works fine for me. good off road heater work starts first time dont leak oil nice ride go anyware (all things a land rover cannot offer)

+1 for a Jimny,I've had one as a shooting bus for over 3 years and love it,35mpg, yes they are small but 99.9% of the time I'm by myself and the back has enough room for 3 fallow.
Check the well in the boot where the jack is kept as this can the only area where rust can be a real problem.
VV

+1 for a Jimny,I've had one as a shooting bus for over 3 years and love it,35mpg, yes they are small but 99.9% of the time I'm by myself and the back has enough room for 3 fallow.
Check the well in the boot where the jack is kept as this can the only area where rust can be a real problem.
VV
Hi All.
I to have a Jimny great little 4x4 will go anywere.
All the best Lever Man.

I had a Daihatsu Sportrak a few years a go; great little 4x4. Economical, reliable (I'm no mechanic - I can lift a bonet and tell you "That's an engine", and if it can't be fixed with a BFH, it's time to call in a professional), hi/low box, plenty of room in the back once you've folded the seats for dogs, guns, boots, jackets, etc.

Merlin

Those Jimneys are a damn nuisance ! they get everywhere and it seems someone must be giving them away as nearly everybody in my area has one.
Nearly everyone I've seen has the back seats removed and either panelled over with plywood or some sort of thick canvas covering the inside and they must be giving springer spaniels or labradors with each one bought as they seem to live in the back of most I've seen.
They tend to go over ground that most of it's bigger brethren won't go over due to their light weight and Suzukis are pretty reliable these days too.

Jimny
Small, good mpg, sound vehicles with low maintenance needs.
Can fit a couple of fallow and all my kit but you cant take a dog and passenger, its one or the other when loaded with kit.

I had the Jimny's predecessor (the Samurai) as a field vehicle in Uganda for 3 years. Never once got it stuck, and used to love skipping past the Landcruisers bogged to the wheel arches...

Absolutely outstanding little jeep. Could take it any where, and run it at a fraction fo the cost of a full size 4x4. It's also pretty fool proof maintenance wise (or at least used to be).

If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate.

I have one or two colleagues in SA who have Shoguns, and while comfortable, they seem to be more prone to recurrent minor problems, and bits have a habit of falling off. Not critical bits, it seems - but there appear to be a lot of more or less cosmetic fripperies.

And don't worry about space: with a little ingenuity, we routinely got 3 people, field kit, supplies, spare fuel etc etc into it. A roof rack is critical...

+ 1 on the Jimny - have had one 6 years - goes anywhere does everything - only got it stuck once but so did the tractor that came to pull me out ! - got it from a Keeper mate who sold it and got a Defender - since sold the Defender and gone back to Jimny - what does that tell yer !!!

Get a Jimny, great wee motors. Can be turned into an awesome 4wd with very little work and knowledge

Al

I use an old Samurai and have an fairly up to date Terrios. The Samurai removeable everything, screen, roof doors etc: Only use it on the farm as it would never get through an MOT. If the Jimny is half as good it would be excellent! The Terios has proved to be a very good little truck indeed. I stuck a set of Grabbers on it and it goes anywhere.

I have had two Jimnys and cannot fault them, I had them in auto too and can testify they will go just about anywhere. After 7 years my last one was starting to rust under the back seats, also worth looking at as well as the wheel-jack well, and I started looking for a replacement.

The choice was between a Jimny, a 3 door Grand Vitara or a 3 door Pinin. I like the Pinin but the MPG is not good compared with the Suzukis, but they are very well made and if you come across a good one snap it up quickly. But I do not

I now have a Grand Vitara in 1600cc, which is more economical than the Jimny, has more room, fitted with air-con, is comfier but does not quite have the ground clearance. I found one with 14,065 miles on the clock made in 2005 for £4,500. It is mint and still smells like new. I am very happy with it.

Simon

PS; my old jimny is now fully modified and romping around large tracts of North Yorkshire.

I recently bought a 1.6 Vitara hardtop which is 12 years old and only has 50k on the clock and most of those miles were clocked being towed behind a huge camper van. It's like a new one!
Best bit was it only cost £800 and will likely go on for at least another 100K like my last one did. They are awesome little off-roaders with a good set of tyres on. I might lift mine by a couple of inches but haven't decided yet. It will go places in 2WD that my X-Trail wouldn't do in 4WD!:cool:
I may struggle to get a large red in though, although I did get 3 red spikers, 2 roe bucks and a munty buck in the back of my last one!:eek: The back wheels were on the arches but lifted off enough to drive home once my 18 stone mate got in the front!:lol:
Great little trucks - which is why I have bought another!
MS:)

VV
With regards the rust in the wheel jack well, just run a splurge of silicone sealant around the nearside rear bonded window, (I spotted water running across the floor from the direction of the upholstery under this window glass), now sorted!

The OP mentioned trips to Scotland - He is from the potteries - A long quite uncomfortable drive in a Jimny.
The Pinin, Grand Vitara Terios would be better for that type of drive.

Ian

I sold my elderly 3-door Pinin earlier this year. I had it three years, and it served me well, but it wasn't getting enough use to justify keeping it under current financial constraints.

It was a useful motor: about 30mpg with Grabber AT2s on. Mine had a proper 2wd/4wd/4wd low/4wd low centre diff lock transfer box. I noted that the more modern ones tended not to have this - might be worth bearing in mind.

As to the Jimny's off road capabilities, Peter E's off Accuratereloaders, was the only vehicle to gain the high ground at Griff's long range shoot in Scotland a few years back, & his was on ready for a change road tyres, the long drive to Scotland was comfy enough for me as I'm not a tall guy! ............ only two drawbacks, a bit on the small side for more than one user, & the short wheelbase tends to loosen teeth on potholed tracks, fuel economy is staggering, & a top speed cruise can be maintained at 80.

Jimny works for me, for all the reasons given above.

IMG_0386.jpg

Back