midge repellant

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
guys need some advice on whats on the market and what
you use and reccomend
been out stalking tonight and got bloody eaten alive :evil:
thanks in advance pete .

Well I don't claim to be an expert, but when I was living in Scotland I discovered that many Scots (who can be plagued by midges on the west Coast) use Avon Skin So Soft which I bought inexpensively on ebay.

It has worked well for me although I expect (like medicines) it may vary by person.

Make sure you buy the version that contains citronella as this is the one that works as a mosqito / midge repellant.

Hope this helps

Neal

Pete,

Are you actually being "eaten" or just plagued?

If plagued then you're Scottish, if eaten then you might have a Welsh tendancy if not out and out English...

Stan

Yup, i use Avon SSS.

Your local Avon Lady will sell you a discounted twin pack (and bury you under a mountain of un-solicited Avon catalogues forever more) ;)

scotsgun said:
Yup, i use Avon SSS.

Your local Avon Lady will sell you a discounted twin pack (and bury you under a mountain of un-solicited Avon catalogues forever more) ;)

Thats the one!

Midge net over a broad brimmed hat, none of the so-called repellants seem to work very well for me, even SSS (and it makes you smell like a big jessie). Guess it just depends on your own chemistry.

Too early to be "eaten alive" by midges yet, they are just the advance guard playing with you, it's July and August that they really get warmed up :D :D

I have tried most of the repellents I think and used to swear by the Avon SSS but I now have abandoned all of them and stick to a net and a hat ala Frax.

John

I live and work in midgie heaven! I've found that the only sure solution is a net. They are good for camoflauge, too! A slight problem is seeing through them well but with a bit of handy work you can glue the net to the rims of a pair of cheap glasses, leaving the lenses clear, obviously, which works well. Skin so soft can work ok but the pick of the bunch if you're going for a repellent I would say is jungle formula. Problem with repellents is if you are doing anything active then your sweat seems to nullify/take the repellent away pretty quick.

Another vote for a net. Maybe the various potions work when the midges are small in numbers but on a bad day a net is the only thing that will keep them away.

Chain smoking works great too.

My father swaps from fags to a pipe during the summer and it's forever on the go. Strangely he can't work out why he's not so productive during the summer months :D

traveler said:
Skin so soft can work ok but the pick of the bunch if you're going for a repellent I would say is jungle formula. Problem with repellents is if you are doing anything active then your sweat seems to nullify/take the repellent away pretty quick.

Jungle Formula is not as a potent midge and mosquito protective as it once was following the removal of diethyltoluamide (DEET) from its formulation. Only their extra strength product now contains DEET and this is the only product they recommend for use in areas where there was a risk of malaria or other insect-transmitted disease.

Since 2000 all other Jungle formula products have contained IR3535 (ethyl butylacetylaminoproprionate or 3-ethyl aminoproprionate). Whilst not as effective as DEET volume for volume and it doesn't retain its repellent characteristics for as long, it is also less likely to cause blistering, skin irritations and system toxicity.

As I prefer as natural a deterrent as possible, preferabley based upon citronella, I'll stick with the SSS or a homoeopathic natural oil repellent made by a close friend where ever practicable.

thanks guys just been onto the avon online site
ordered and awaiting delivery
got up this morning hd bites all over me hands
and its still only april :eek:

midge

since i live in midgiland(scotland) when things get rough i use a net with built in plastic visor .Midges are attracted to carbon dioxide (your breath) so apart from not breathing, things that disguise you breath like smoking work but i have tried chewing gum called airwave works to a certain extent.

the carbon dioxide that come from your skin what do we do there ? lol

the best stuff ive ever used is SHOO it was made in scotland then the company moved to canada i haven't see any on the shelves for a while ??

Heres further info and types of stuff out there .

Insect Repellent Type Active Ingredient Special Features Suitability
PreVent Spray Spray Repellent Pyrethrins (1.0% w/w) Spray-on insect repellent provides protection for up to 6 hours. Extremely compact and handy spray. Fine on children and clothes. Small & compact, ideal for pocket or bag. OK for children.
Repel Insect Repellent Lotion, Spray Repellent DEET (52.25%) Powerful and reliable, long lasting. A higher concentration than most. Excellent general purpose for tropics and jungle.
Repel 100 Spray Repellent DEET (95%) Very powerful and long lasting. Use sparingly as this is the maximum concentration made. As strong as it gets!
Expedition Plus Spray Repellent DEET Dual action formula of DEET plus insecticidal properties
Protects for up to 8 hours. General purpose, strong stuff
Expedition 50 Spray Repellent DEET (50%) DEET based, offers protection for up to 8 hours. Slightly less powerful than the Expedition Plus variety. General purpose, still strong with 50% DEET
Midge Repellent Spray Repellent DEET Contains DEET plus Myrtle and other plant extracts. Tested and proven by SafariQuip. The midge-infested wilderness

Mozzy Off Lotion Lotion Repellent Natural Plant Oils Natural, environmentally friendly, kind to skin and water resistant. General purpose and long lasting.
Mosi-Guard Insect Repellent Cream, Spray, Stick, Roll-on. Citriodiol (eucalyptus) Natural, non-toxic, effective. Safe for children + on sensitive skin. Harmless to plastics and clothing. Excellent general purpose, lasts well. OK for children.

Ultrathon Cream Cream Repellent DEET (31.58%) Micro-encapsulation means long lasting, slow release over a long period. Handy size, low odour, lasts well.

Mosquito Coils Repellent smoke Bioallethrin (pyrethroid) Slow burning, produces a light smoke which repels/kills mosquitoes and other insects. No power supply, open space, clearing room or tent.
Citronella (9hr) Candle's Repellent smoke Citronella Special high-melting point wax. Last for up to 9 hours. Fragrant and repellent. No power supply, open space, indoors or tent.

Original Candle Lantern Candle Holder N/A The perfect candle holder for our Citronella (9hr) Candle's. Safety and light.
Mosqui Go Duo Plug-in Repellent Prallethrin (pyrethroid) Plugs into sockets and slowly releases repellent all night long. Power supply, indoors.

ZapperClick Electric bite pain neutraliser N/A Uses a small electric shock to provide instant relief to a bitten area. It works! Handy relief.
Bite & Sting Relief Roll-On Relief Witch Hazel Extract Uses a witch hazel extract to provide effective and fast relief from bites and strings after they occur. Bites and stings from flying insects

That was a mile of very useful information Widows Son. Thank you, that has saved me a lot of research.

Steve.

Just got back from the bush of the Northern Territories in Australia, after a month, where even the Scottish midgey is fourth division.

Used the good old Avon SSS, and it kept those mossies away...No worries.

You should feel my skin too....It is......Well, so soft!

AVON SKIN SO SOFT....Not just for woosies!

G`Day

Also use Repel - but it eats rubber / elastic, cant be good for you but it works.

Another one is Lifesystems deet spray - works almost as well as Repel.

Dont like JF it doesnt work for me.

Avon SSS is also marginal with me.

Must have atractive blood.

Read somewhere about eating something with Vit B?? that is a natural repellant - anyone confirm or deny this?

Back