Wildfowling

MJ75

Never done it. Fancy trying it....

What's the best way to start?

I do have a 12 gauge. :)

first off youll need some non toxic cartridges in 6 - 5 shot

secondly you may be best to go with a guide on a bought evening flight to get your legs as it were

have a look on the net for companies offering duck flighting with good reviews

if you are going beyond the LWM thigh waders are a good idea, map compass mobile these will get you out of trouble if it goes tits up

tide table charts if on the foreshore

better still join a club in your area contact either ngo or basc they both will help

It's my favourite type of shooting I love it being by the foreshore with my dogs listening to all the wildfowl the ambience, beautiful sunrises and sunsets then theres the sounds of bunches of wigeon whistling away,deafining 10000s of pinkfeet geese getting up at dawn makes the hairs on your neck stand up nothing else like it, but then there is the other side of it getting up at silly hours going out in subzero temps snow blizzards gales blowing walking for miles to go and sit in a cold wet muddy creek shivering and not seeing or hearing any wildfowl and coming home empty handed but I still love it which ever way it goes, contact your local club many do day permits Basc do the wildfowling permit scheme where you can go all over the country to try it for a small fee worth trying it that's for sure I can't get enough and go out atleast 5 times a week more if I can good luck with it hope you enjoy it if you get to go......

Last edited:
There are some people who shoot ducks, then there are duck shooters, then there are

Wildfowlers, this is an extreme sport , do u think u r tough enough.
Only joking , enjoy and if u r ever in NI give me a pm I'll take u out no prob.

Never done it. Fancy trying it....

What's the best way to start?

I do have a 12 gauge. :)

Contact BASC and find the nearest club to you that does a day permit, contact the club, and as novice fowler they will/should get someone to take you out
Get a bird book and Indentify which fowl are legal quarry and which are not

Buy some non-toxic shells

Then enjoy the paradise/nirvana that Mongoose has described, I can almost guarantee the you will love it, and want to take it up

The BASC has a list of clubs which will let you onto their marsh with sensible limits. Look on the web for the booklet.

David.

I'm in s/yorks & secretary of a local club if you want to pm me & are prepared to travel I'm sure I could arrange something.

i too fancy trying my hand at wildfowling cheers for the info you'v all posted i'll try and have a look.

Back