I have just read an article written by John Rippin in the Oct edition of Shooting Sports which describes how to deal with wounded dear. I am a little concerned at the section relating to RTA as it lacked clarification and could be misleading.
In an RTA situation the writer would use a 17HMR and taking a head shot no longer than 30-40 yards and shot placement being the brain.
No reference is made in the article to any legal issues associated with attending to wounded deer at an RTA scene with the public possibly present.
I have the following questions :-
1. 17hmr is not a legal calibre for use on deer. can this be used on RTA incidents?
2. What is the situation regards conditions on your FAC ?
3. What about taking a head shot 30 -40 yards away?
4. How should the carcass be dealt with?
5. If the police are not at the scene what is the proceedure?
My concern with the article is that it could give the impression that anybody with a 17HMR could pitch up at a RTA and land themselves in a whole lot of trouble. I feel that the whole article was poor and misleading.