Boar high seat work

Bavarianbrit

Just had a mail sent to me about a newspaper article in germany.
It seems a hunter with 30 plus years experience was in a high seat overlooking a maize field (the usual farmers policeman job) at 3am when he heard movement at the edge of the maize so he lets a round go and it killed a chap who was 50km away from his home and no one knows why he was slinking around in the maize at 3am.
In the UK it might be easier if you always use a light but the porkers will get wise to that fast.
I know we all do not shoot until we are sure of the target but who is at their best at 3am? No excuse for it I know.
Be careful out there chaps.
Martin

That is just bonkers! Ultimately the buck stops with the chap who took the shot, but very sad and distressing for all concerned.

ATB

T

I think they're f*cking nuts not letting people use night vision aids like lamps or NV... OK so it's weird that guy was out, but maybe he just likes walking at night - I have a beach near me where I used to escape to smoke when I was a teenager living with my mum :)... if I'd been shot on the way back I would have been pretty upset :D

Nighvision has to be the way to go surely?

Also what the hell was the shooter doing taking the shot if he hadn't positively identified the target? I've had some near misses with owls on the ground (when bunnying) and cats (ginger ones when foxing) where I've scoped up and taken up the first stage, but thankfully never taken them as I always wait for the sillouhete or proper eyeshine.

I think the moral of this story (which I'm sure we all know) is - if in doubt, don't shoot!!!

Just had a mail sent to me about a newspaper article in germany.
It seems a hunter with 30 plus years experience was in a high seat overlooking a maize field (the usual farmers policeman job) at 3am when he heard movement at the edge of the maize so he lets a round go and it killed a chap who was 50km away from his home and no one knows why he was slinking around in the maize at 3am.
In the UK it might be easier if you always use a light but the porkers will get wise to that fast.
I know we all do not shoot until we are sure of the target but who is at their best at 3am? No excuse for it I know.
Be careful out there chaps.
Martin

Hi Martin
many of us lamp past 3am in the morning but if you do not identify your target then you do not shoot. After saying that a chap shot his own step son few years back he got disorientated and shot at a pair of eyes with a very sad outcome.

Jimbo

Stupidly in my opinion it is still forbidden in the the Bundesjagdgesetz (German federal hunting law) to lamp or use any artificial light source as it is claimed to be unsporting (nicht waidmannisch) and NV is still forbidden as it is claimed that it will encourage reds and roe being taken at night which for me a load of Bo***CKS.
Germany is a nice place to hunt but they do have some very deeply entrenched opinions, realtree & co camo are looked on as wannabee"s dodgy types clothing and I have not seen anyone using it yet. Even high vis orange on a driven day is having a hard time in being accepted.
Martin

German Hunters

Stupidly in my opinion it is still forbidden in the the Bundesjagdgesetz (German federal hunting law) to lamp or use any artificial light source as it is claimed to be unsporting (nicht waidmannisch) and NV is still forbidden as it is claimed that it will encourage reds and roe being taken at night which for me a load of Bo***CKS.
Germany is a nice place to hunt but they do have some very deeply entrenched opinions, realtree & co camo are looked on as wannabee"s dodgy types clothing and I have not seen anyone using it yet. Even high vis orange on a driven day is having a hard time in being accepted.
Martin

Bavarianbrit a very interesting post

There was an article in “Le Chasseur Francais” a couple of years ago where a manufacturer had supplied a local hunting association with their full range of camo clothing for free for a season, and asked the hunters all for testimonials at the end in an attempt to break into the French market. They were pretty much unanimous that it had been effective, that animals too longer to notice them enabling safer, better shot opportunities in driven shooting. Then they were asked whether they’d keep wearing it for the next season, and most of them said no, because they just didn’t the look or connotations. I have to say I’m with them, but it’s just a matter of taste.

As regards NV, lights, mods, etc, they’re all pretty much considered poacher’s kit…

It"s funny that in the UK it is the gun & ammo that causes huge paranoia with the law but the peripherals such as NV, moderators, night lights etc are accepted it seems without a whimper.
Would"nt it be nice if all these Euro lawmakers got together and drafted just one set of eurowide regs for us to get our heads around.
I know it is a tin of wriggly things.
It would put a lot of them out on the dole Ha!!
Martin

Nice one Bavarianbrit, your in the same law set as me, only recently we got permission to use a lamp on the rifle, due to a boar problem. Although I use NV for spotting (a Yukon Ranger), which is OK for in the forest. NV (on the rifle) and moderators are stoning offences. As for the clothing, its either green or your a bow hunter.

I am only guessing off course but in parts of Germany and the Netherlands it is quite common :eek: to have marihuana plants standing in the maize. Maybe he wanted to harvest?
Dutch and German police spot these illegal plantations with a helicopter and normally sent in the troops. But also a lot of them do not get caught. It is a highly profitable business.

I"m not into that stuff so I had never heard that one before I will ask my neighbor as he is a maize farmer 50 hectares worth.
We just had all ours harvested and there was no boar damage so we were lucky now it"s back onto the roe cull targets.
Martin

I just heard of another option which was publised in a German newspaper, because it is quite close to the border with the Czech republic he might have been smuggling cigarettes. Police is not going to prosecute the hunter.

Holland,
He will get to keep his Jagdschein after killing someone? Unbelievable, so we can now add smugglers to the list of quarry in Bavaria.
GREAT.
Martin

Back