BASC on renewal delays and temporary permits! Don't get caught out!

mperring

Code:
BASC's firearms dept have today published a document designed to advise on the legalities of police delays and the issue of temporary permits.

It can be found here - Document Summary

good idea
just one point form 111 does not allow possession of expanding ammunition
gttp 2002 chapter 15.4

good idea
just one point form 111 does not allow possession of expanding ammunition
gttp 2002 chapter 15.4
Perhaps the BASC could arrange for the necessary authority from the Secretary of State to be automatically granted to shooters who find themselves in this position? atb Tim

yes the docuent does say that Section 5 items cannot be held on a permit.

And as a Home Office authority is granted per person it would require primary legislation to exempt us all.

yes the docuent does say that Section 5 items cannot be held on a permit.

And as a Home Office authority is granted per person it would require primary legislation to exempt us all.
In that case could a protocol be established with the HO to automatically grant this authority to individuals who find themselves without a current FAC through no fault of their own, e.g. excessive admin delays within police FL depts.?atb Tim

My preference is for the Director of Public Prosecutions or the Attorney General to issue a statment saying there is no interest to prosecute people in this predicament. My personal view is that nobody has been prosecuted for illegal possession after expiry caused by police so the reality is quite slim. this may explain why the polcie don;t issue permits, after all if their operational colleagues wanted to prosecute and did so regularly, the licensing departments would be wanting to issue permits to protect themselves from having to appear in court. Dont forget whilst the police are difficult in case of media or any other criticism, it also pays dividends where they could be embarassed by their immediate colelagues.

That said, if the police issue a permit for the items that it can cover legally, no court is likley to carry out a prosecution as it would be an abuse of process where a person has possession of expanding ammo and at the same time has a permit for the gun it is used in.

My certificates expired on the 27[SUP]th[/SUP] Sep, on 24[SUP]th[/SUP] I contacted Lincs Police and asked if they would renew them on time or would they be issuing permits. The only question they asked was had the FEO visited me yet, I said yes on the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] a slight pause, you will have your certificated quickly but we will be issuing permits in the meantime.

Can't really fault that and of course there are no conditions on a permit re species/land - in this case its their FEO letting the side down.

Last edited:
My FAC runs out next year(june) and i will be asking for it to be an "open" ticket i.e. any lawful quarry, deem the land suitable myself etc. I was also thinking of getting a SGC at the same time.
How early before the expiry date should i get the forms in ?

I just forwarded the link to my Clubs' secretaries for distribution to the members - it'll help a lot of people.
Well done BASC (again). Glad I'm a member.

So you gave them eight weeks, and they still didn't manage to get it done on time? It's pretty rubbish isn't it!

Well there's a very easy way for police to resolve delays. Invariably FEO sees applicant then goes back to the office then your certificate arrives sometime in the distant future.

The likes of Derbyshire police FEO's visit for security with a newly printed certificate which saves on postage and avoids expiry. But other forces are frightened about god only knows what in doing the same and prefer to remain in the dark ages. I've heard all the excuses including "we'll we can't legally issue a certificate that will run concurrently with the existing one." Cobblers....the computer allows it to be printed for delivery but it just won't be valid until the expiry of the old. So next time your police force say they have a hard time and offer explanations about why it's taken so long to send your renewal out, why not ask them to move to a system whereby they print and issue the certificate when they visit your house.

FAC returned today, a couple of things I would like "changing" (might be typos) I phoned to discuss these, but as the national computer system is not availiabe today, they have asked me to write.

Back