8 Reasons Hunting Africa Ain't What it Used to Be

Good article.

There is certainly more available plains game in South Africa than there was 10 or 15yrs ago. I was last there in July and was pleasantly suprised when I picked up a copy of Magnum magazine. Game seems to have been recognised as a commodity and is being treated professionally on a much larger scale than previously.

Mozambique will begin to open up over time but it's still comparatively a hard country to get things done in. Zim is anyones guess. Botswana will continue to be a choice destination.
THe herrings are the likes of Malawi and Zambia, if they can get their respective acts together they'll be brilliant destinations.

Much of the rest of Africa will hinge on the relative political stability and income levels. Where poor people and habitat collide, wildlife tends to lose out to what passes for african subsistance agriculture.

Good article.

There is certainly more available plains game in South Africa than there was 10 or 15yrs ago. I was last there in July and was pleasantly suprised when I picked up a copy of Magnum magazine. Game seems to have been recognised as a commodity and is being treated professionally on a much larger scale than previously.

Mozambique will begin to open up over time but it's still comparatively a hard country to get things done in. Zim is anyones guess. Botswana will continue to be a choice destination.
THe herrings are the likes of Malawi and Zambia, if they can get their respective acts together they'll be brilliant destinations.

Much of the rest of Africa will hinge on the relative political stability and income levels. Where poor people and habitat collide, wildlife tends to lose out to what passes for african subsistance agriculture.

I think you are right Milligan, let us just hope that Moz and Zambia follow Botswana's example - Great little country with fantastic people and with good laws on hunting and firearms ownership.

Ambition of mine to hunt there someday.

ATB,

Scrummy

Bah humbug, get out there and enjoy it. Nothings what it used to be..... Many things were never what they used to be. The Empire and the Raj history had a little egotism apllied to it.

If you feel you need to catch malaria, drown in the amazon or be gored by a rhino...... I will be happy to organise a frairly hairy adventure for the right price.

I heard that they are closing hunting in Botswana. They are apparently not renewing the leases on the hunting concessions so hunting will continue until the lease is up but thereafter it will become a photo area.

I think the future is bleaker with the recession as it is beginning to hit over there too. A friend of mine came back from a trip a few months ago and said he wasn't going again, which is saying something for him

Back