Huntin in Europe and Scandinavia. Are you ready?

Jagare

Its that time of the year again when many UK stalkers will travel to Europe and Scandinavia to hunt. For a hunting trip to shoot boar ,moose or what ever your quarry. Its likely it will cost you £1500 minimum. It may also be a once in a life time hunt.
So what preparations do people make before their trip? Do you make any preparations or just hope to wing it.
As much of the hunting for boar and moose is driven how many bother to practice on the running boar,deer range?
Even if it is driven game many shots are be taken at slow moving or stationary game. But what if the trophy bull moose or gold medal boar suddenly appears going full speed do you think your up to taking the shot when you have only shot at stationary game in the UK?
Do people think about the ammo they will use. How many buy or reload a box of premium ammunition.
How many buy a book or look up information about the quarry they are hunting or study the moose clock or where the vital organs are in quarry.
When I first hunted moose in 1985 I did have a bit of practise on the running deer range at Bisley and reloaded Nosler partitions for the hunt. I realised when I got here that more practice would not have gone amiss. I did shoot a good bull though.
I go down the running moose range every week end from the end of July until the beginning of October and shoot about 500 rounds. Whilst this may be a bit OTT when the big bull moose runs by me he will be dead. I shoot that much because practise is always good and its good fun.
It do’s surprise me, even here in Sweden how many turn up at the range the week before moose hunting and shoot to a level that just get them to the minimum level required of there hunting team.

Other way round for me this year, I have 7 groups from Finland hunting over the coming autumn and winter with me, starting on Red Stag and Sika Stag in 2 weeks.

Following this 2 groups in October for Fallow bucks on the rut, then groups every month for Fallow, Roe, CWD and Muntjac. Bisy winter ahead and looking forward to meeting new people.

Good hunting to you for the coming winter.

Interesting thread.

Personally I have only ever done one european hunt. Before I went I did not think about any of the above, I just packed my rifle and went.

I am not one to over think things :)

Over the course of the weekend I managed to drop 12 red deer and a wild boar. I only fluffed 2 shots (complete misses).

This year I am off for 2 days driven boar and roe in Germany with a well known hunter and I am very much looking forward to it. That said he has told me I am going to be on a stand where they wont be motoring past at a million miles an hour.

Yes I practice in denmark and germany at the cinema, ammo is always bonded and heavy.
I have 4 hunts planned in 2 months, x2 finland and x2 sweden.
The last 2 trips have a few places left.
Practice days will be held again in denmark next year also.

good luck to you all.

Always practiced for boar hunts by blanking in tyres and rolling them down a hill, good fun and gets you swinging as they pick up speed and start to bounce.

Start of the moose season for me next tues here in Norway, cant wait...

Always practiced for boar hunts by blanking in tyres and rolling them down a hill, good fun and gets you swinging as they pick up speed and start to bounce.

Start of the moose season for me next tues here in Norway, cant wait...
Ha ha ha! That sounds great but which poor devil gets to take them back up the hill?

I practice all year long on the club range and shooting bolting bunnys with the .444 .I also reload my own ammo and am also learning a few words of Croat .

Dobra

This thread reminds me I must get some Partitions AND a load sorted for my new .308, or I'll be taking the 150 gr PPu's to shoot moosey with! Must stop working away and have more time to sort such matters!

This thread reminds me I must get some Partitions AND a load sorted for my new .308, or I'll be taking the 150 gr PPu's to shoot moosey with! Must stop working away and have more time to sort such matters!
soon be there you lads, quicker then you can blink.
On the other note while in lapland last week (though different grounds to what we hunt moose on) there was alot of trade and things look good.

As much of the hunting for boar and moose is driven how many bother to practice on the running boar,deer range?

I'd be interested in what facilities there are for this in the UK. I'm aware of Bisley, though I have no idea how I would go about booking to use it. Any others? I doubt any are going to be up to the standard of the ranges in Europe more's the pity.

Alex

jagare apparentley the big moose are very scarce this year , quality is down due to the bad winter,11 shot in the last 2 weeks in our area in north jamtland, 7 males and 4 calfs no females shot.

I'd be interested in what facilities there are for this in the UK. I'm aware of Bisley, though I have no idea how I would go about booking to use it. Any others? I doubt any are going to be up to the standard of the ranges in Europe more's the pity.

Alex

THE BSRC in Bisley have a full-bore running deer range and a .22RF running boar range. Both are electronically scored and remotely operated, so reasonably high-tech! I guess you could shoot there as a guest of a current member as long as you were a member of the NRA. There are people on the SD who know the intricacies better than I do. But certainly I joined in part because it was the only place I could practice on moving targets. If my brother-in-law in France ever pulls his act together, I’m hoping that it will turn out handy!

The moose population in this part of Sweden is on the increase. This is due to the storm, Gudrun by name, that we had about six years ago.
In the counties that the storm affected there is plenty of food from regrowth. The quality of the heads in this area has greatly improved over the last years. This is because of our policy of not shooting bulls with 4 to 8 points.
I have 3 running moose ranges in about half an hours drive from me. Nearly all towns have a shooting range. The range i use has electronic marking. The last range day before moose hunting will be manic with every one wanting sight in their rifles.
Like the video of shooting at the running moose range. John you don't show the man marking your score. Now is this because you score was so fantastic? Or because it was crap:D.
I've just set up a boar feeder on my ground. 4 years ago a hunter about 5 miles away shot a big boar and now we have them on our hunting ground. My nieghbour and i are going to wait till we have a good population so we can hunt them with the dogs. We will soon have boar and moose on the menu.
180 grn Norma oryx .308 home loads for everything bigger than roe. A .375 sounded a good idea but i have a chain saw if i want to take down trees;)

The moose population in this part of Sweden is on the increase. This is due to the storm, Gudrun by name, that we had about six years ago.
In the counties that the storm affected there is plenty of food from regrowth. The quality of the heads in this area has greatly improved over the last years. This is because of our policy of not shooting bulls with 4 to 8 points.
I have 3 running moose ranges in about half an hours drive from me. Nearly all towns have a shooting range. The range i use has electronic marking. The last range day before moose hunting will be manic with every one wanting sight in their rifles.
Like the video of shooting at the running moose range. John you don't show the man marking your score. Now is this because you score was so fantastic? Or because it was crap:D.
I've just set up a boar feeder on my ground. 4 years ago a hunter about 5 miles away shot a big boar and now we have them on our hunting ground. My nieghbour and i are going to wait till we have a good population so we can hunt them with the dogs. We will soon have boar and moose on the menu.
180 grn Norma oryx .308 home loads for everything bigger than roe. A .375 sounded a good idea but i have a chain saw if i want to take down trees;)

Jagare,

By any chance is your chainsaw called Paul :)

Stan

Back