Zeroing

Fallenover

I'm struggling to get my rifle/scope to zero bang in the middle of the target. It'll group nicely about and inch or so away from the POA and after adjust the the reticle the POI never seems to move to exactly where I want it, i.e the middle of the bull. As I say the groupings are really good. It's a a new rifle with maybe about 45 rounds gone through at this stage. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried the cleaning the barrel approach after each shot, and then every 5 shots, and I've tried just leaving it with out cleaning. It's a .308 Howa, I've tried several brands of factory amminition and I'm now considering reloading my own. It's getting a bit expensive and frustrating keeping on throwing lead at the target. I just want to be confident that the bullet is going where I want it to.

Do I just need to let it 'run in and settle down on it's own?'

F

If you are getting nice groups consistently and in same place its not likely a rifle issue.

As you describe it, sounds more like an issue with the adjustment on your scope.. Have I misread?

What scope do you have and is it a known performer on another rifle?

If I'm barking up the right tree, try fixing your rifle firmly ( without damaging ) one of the purpose cradles nice if have, but a padded Workmate, sandbags or at a push rolled up jackets/ cardboard box with a couple of cut outs will do. Key is to be able to hold rifle steady whilst pointing at a 'target'.

A target with a central aim point and some visible grids is ideal - nothing fancy needed. With rifle steady/fixed, dial in 4-8 clicks on elevation whilst observing the apparent movement of the reticule on the target through the scope. You should see the cross hairs move accordingly. Remember that the adjustments are rated at 100 yds/metres - so if doing at a closer range the actual movements will be smaller. If elevation tracks ok then try the windage in the same way.

Had a similar problem could .nt get my 243 bang on but it was grouping ok about a inch two inch away , I contacted a guy from coriniun rifle range on here and he sold me some wipe out cleaning products I was cleaning the barrel but never proper clean so I used these products as directed by him and it sure solved it shooting bang on now with 0.5 group with factory ammo worth a try anyway if your not cleaning with wipe out

Thanks I'll try that. Yes I do believe it is scope adjustment, it's a Simmons Whitetail and came with the rifle as a package, I know it's not exactly the Rolls Royce of scopes however I can't afford/justify a more expensive one with the amount of stalking that I do.

have you run out of elevation/windage adjustment?

if it is grouping nicely why cant you move the POI to where you want?
not sure I follow

if the turret turns you've still got elevation/windage. if you have a scope with say 1/8moa per click, you need 8 clicks to move 1" at 100yds. if you're zeroing at 50yds for whatever reason, you need 16 clicks. sometimes you think the scopes not working, but all you need is to double or treble the number of clicks to 'get it moving'.

one of my S&B's is 1cm/100m per click, but I know from experience that the windage is more like 0.5cm per click whereas the elevation is 1" per click. GOD KNOWS HOW,,but it's true every time I zero it on another rifle - LOL...

I suggest if you're 2" left, crank it three times too much right as you expect and see if it marks a significant move the other other side of the POA, if it does, just go back halfway, if it DOESN'T,,,get rid of it and get another scope!

Your answer could be in the terms bought in a package . I have a friend who bought a package and the scope was damaged internaly he couldnt get it to zero .
Try another scope if you can as you have tried the adjustment route .

ATB

never paid much attention to the click per unit written on the turret.
keep turning until it ends up where it is meant to be!

I dont twiddle in the field so increments are irrelevant really. its a tap. treat it as one

I had the same problem with a scope.

In the end instead of making slight changes I turned the adjustment about twenty clicks, and it moved.

Some budget scopes have a bit of slack in the rail, and you can only make positive adjustments in one direction, so, if you have gone too far, turn it back a long way, then turn it slowly in the desired direction again.

Another thought is that you could have run out of adjustment.
Try moving the POI away from the direction you want, and if it moves in a controlled manner, it means you have run out of travel.
If that's the case try swapping the mounts around and see if it improves things.

HTH

get a scope with 1/8 ajustments rather than 1/4 it will give you finer ajustments or try looking down a bore sighter ajust your scope all the way up then down side to side and see if it returns to the point you started if not or your point of aim climbes but at an angle your scope is no use

I'm struggling to get my rifle/scope to zero bang in the middle of the target. It'll group nicely about and inch or so away from the POA and after adjust the the reticle the POI never seems to move to exactly where I want it, i.e the middle of the bull. As I say the groupings are really good. It's a a new rifle with maybe about 45 rounds gone through at this stage. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried the cleaning the barrel approach after each shot, and then every 5 shots, and I've tried just leaving it with out cleaning. It's a .308 Howa, I've tried several brands of factory amminition and I'm now considering reloading my own. It's getting a bit expensive and frustrating keeping on throwing lead at the target. I just want to be confident that the bullet is going where I want it to.

Do I just need to let it 'run in and settle down on it's own?'
What range is this at, what mag are you shooting on and how much adjustment are you giving it between groups or shots?
If you're shooting at less than a 100yds on full mag then you're likely introducing parallax which is easy enough to test for.

Most stalking bullets are a quarter inch or more in diameter, quarter inch clicks are fine.
If the groupings are good then it's not your ammo or rifle and unlikely to be the mounts, all that's left to eliminate is the scope.

Last edited:
I think the OP is saying that the adjustments are there but they are not tracking/adjusting by the amount quoted on that particular scope. For example his group is half an inch right and when adjusted a couple of clicks to the left the scope moves too much that way which will not allow him to get the group exactly in the centre of the bull? Correct me if i have got this wrong but thats the way it reads to me. It may be that i have got it wrong but the way its written i dont see why people are getting confused by his query?

Unless rifle will shoot 1 hole groups or clover leaf groups and shoots about an inch your adjustments will not be exact.

i dont see why people are getting confused by his query?
because he didnt explain it like that.

If you are shooting around 1" groups it would lead me to believe that bullet hole spacing is between 1/4"-1/3".

If your scope cannot adjust less than 1/2" (2 clicks at 100yds on most scopes) to get you close to POA then it is either broken or a poor quality scope. If we are talking it being less than 1/2" away from POA then I wouldn't worry about it

RPA is pretty much on the money with my problem. However my groups are around an inch or so away from where I want them. Now, yes it maybe that the scope is duff which is why I posted to see if there may be other reasons as to why I might be having problems. There are other variables that I need to take into consideration before I take the scope back and insert somewhere. The package was not a standard one offered by the dealer and I did a lot of research into the rifle, scope and mod before I committed to buying it. The scope was considered to be good value for it's price both in light gathering and accuracy. There plenty of suggestions and advice that I need to consider and try and that was what I was hoping for, so thanks to everyone for their input as it is greatly appreciated.

Yes I did understand what you were saying but it is easier to adjust when your rifle shoots small groups,I too have a scope with 1cm clicks,I can be 5mm high or low and the same with windage,you just need a bit of luck with bullet choice,1/4,1/8 or 5mm adjustments will get you a little closer

I've been using Federal 150gr and have just started using Geco 170gr, with no noticeable difference. Hence why I'm considering loading my own. The scope alledgedly increments in 1/4" per click. I want eliminate all the variables before I take it back.

I think the OP is saying that the adjustments are there but they are not tracking/adjusting by the amount quoted on that particular scope. For example his group is half an inch right and when adjusted a couple of clicks to the left the scope moves too much that way which will not allow him to get the group exactly in the centre of the bull? Correct me if i have got this wrong but thats the way it reads to me. It may be that i have got it wrong but the way its written i dont see why people are getting confused by his query?

Who was confused?

Guy asked a question, there are a lot more variables than he first indicated.
If he is shooting at 100yds and gets good groups but the scope doesn't track it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately things are seldom so simple!

I often see people who don't understand how their scope works or just "turn it like a tap" and get frustrated when the outcome isn't what they expected.

Range is 100yds and groups are clover leaf or sometimes same hole, yes the reticle does track. Still cannot zero it down. And before anyone asks its not my shooting as I can nail 1" 5 round groups over 200yds with an L81 sniper rifle, which is the military version of the ParkerHale TX1200, no I'm not military but I do teach air cadets how to shoot straight.

Range is 100yds and groups are clover leaf or sometimes same hole, yes the reticle does track. Still cannot zero it down. And before anyone asks its not my shooting as I can nail 1" 5 round groups over 200yds with an L81 sniper rifle, which is the military version of the ParkerHale TX1200, no I'm not military but I do teach air cadets how to shoot straight.
I'd take the scope back.

Back