Thread: Discarded a carcass.

Discarded a carcass.

Last weekend I had a successful trip to my Scottish ground and returned south of the border with two bucks in the carcasse tray.

The second of the bucks was shot on the saturday morning as he returned from open hill ground to the sanctuary of a forestry block. He was a yearling still in velvet and weighed just 26 lb gralloched. He was in pretty poor shape but did not appear particularly thin. There were bald patches on his head, neck and flanks, and there were other areas of pelage where the pins were broken down to a short stubble. The pelt was also alive with ticks and lice.

Now firstly I did not check the meso- thingy nodes on the green gralloch as I should have done, nor any of the other nodes when removing the red gralloch. But when I took the carcass out of the chiller at home I noticed the fat within the kidney/ pelvic girdle area was spotted with very small brown/red/grey (I'm colour blind) lumps which I had not noticed before. I skinned off the carcass and noticed small areas of bruising on the rump and flanks which I attribute to the young lad getting a beating from a bigger buck. But when I butchered the carcass I discovered swollen lymth nodes where I did not know lymth nodes existed, by this time the butchery was for my own interest as I decided I would not be eating the meat. The nodes in the rump, shoulder and base of the neck were very swollen, and when incised were grey with a brown marbling. I also cut through one of the leg bones and a watery brown fluid flowed freely from the marrow. I suppose if I had performed a full inspection when I initially gralloched him I could have saved an hour or two but it was quite an interseting exercise discovering all of these lymth nodes.

its a pitty you did not look a bit more when you shot it as i could have inspected it for you properly . Or griff would have done it for you , theres a fair chance it was not fit for human consumption if the marrow was runny not solid . Was the carcass emaciated in poor condition ? was the meat wet odeama as this is usually indicated by runny marrow in the long bones . Any way you have learned a lot by finding this after you took it home next time you will look at the green offal when you gralloch it with more interest in the final carcass quality and if its fit for consumption . Dont think i am having a dig as i am the worlds worst for grallocking and chucking it away but after a few years at the job you recognize thing as you do them and dont need to poke and prod every last bit . Any way hope you are well and i may see you next time you go up to dumfries

Hi Mudman,
    Just to add to muddy's post. Lymph nodes you found. Near point of shoulder under a layer muscle of muscle; Pre scapular, One back of stifle Popliteal Inside top of hind leg Inguinal . In flank fold Precrural ( pre femoral ).The bruising was probably carcass flushing. Sounds like a generalised septicemia from you description. Runny marrow emaciation/ overwhelming infection You obviously did a full post mortem exam so you have learnt. Worthwhile exercise at end of day.

Sounds like you did the animal a favour