Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cause of death?... Not the ending either of us were hoping for!

Cause of death?... Not the ending either of us were hoping for!

Believe it or not this Buck was alive on Monday (it's now wednesday), albeit in a distressed state (I wasn't there to shoot him unfortunately) - my guess is he had a cist or lesion that got infected and fly-blown. You can see from the pics that three days later there are fully formed maggots present in large numbers. He looked fine when I saw him 10 days ago (albeit he was living in a poly tunnel), so it's possible he was hit by a car I guess - any ideas guys?

There is what looks like fungus on the remaining antler.

He was found by the farmer in the bush in front of his house. One antler was missing and the other came off when I tried moving him. There were maggots in the pedicle.

There is what I thought was a pricket knocking around the same area... though I'm now wondering if it might in fact be a murder buck. It supposedly went for the land owners spaniel on Saturday night!

Real shame he had to suffer. I spent the last 3 nights in a high seat waiting for him - I suspect he was probably in the bush from Monday onwards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d1.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	19354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	19355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d3.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	19356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d4.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	19357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d5.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	503.1 KB 
ID:	19358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d6.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	19359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d7.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	19360
    Last edited by BunnyDoom; 19-09-2012 at 22:37.

p.s. He doesn't look that old - and ideas on age?

WOW! poor beast, I couldn't tell from pure lack of veterinary knowledge, but my immediate thought was the bubonic plague! (joking).

Morena would probably have a very well educated guess on this.

I suggest you don't eat that one look's to have been ill for a while.

Galloway Deer Stalking

What you describe as fungus are actually fly eggs.

Looks like he sustained trauma to the head and possibly the rear end. A road traffic accident a very strong possibility. Could also have been injuries sustained from fighting. The fly strike could have happened post mortem. Depending on the species and ambient temperature some eggs will hatch in as little as 24 hours. There is a whole science dedicated to this.

Did you open him up? That would likely have given you cause of death.

Poor bugger.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

This is what happened to your buck mate:

An injury was sustained, possibly an RTA which may explain the broken antler, which subsequently became fly blown

I'd guess he was 2-3 years old by his teeth, but that's a guess.
    Last edited by digger9523; 19-09-2012 at 22:26.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Nope didn't open him up as he was clearly manky and stank. He's fox food at the moment i'm guessing as he's still in the field the land owner put him in.

It occurred to me that they're currently making hay bails in the fields surrounding my shoot - suppose its possible he was laying up and got clipped... or perhaps something on the road. Massive shame whatever happened.

Thanks Digger - that does look like that's it, and the head-shaking is exactly what the farmer described.

Poor sod, the annoying thing is when I first went there I had no gun as was being shown around - the deer itself was laid up in a poly tunnel. He was about 60yds away and all I could see was a decent set of antlers and him looking at us. If I'd had my bino's on me I probably would have seen something was wrong with him. In which case I would have sacked off the rest of the day at work and gotten my rifle to finish him off.

There is a difference poly tunnel buck had quite obvious injuries or wounds to the side and arse area. One in video looked more diseased with what looks like puss on the neck. I reckon that he had run in with the bailer or mower.